Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a dumb question.

No one would listen to anything said by a magazine that puts down ScubaPro in favor of Mares. In truth, Rodale's simply rates nearly everything that's not dangerous as "good." It's kinda like health department cetifications in restaurants.

- Warren

Warren

Look in the index of advertisers. Neither Mares nor Dacor advertise with Rodale's. Scubapro do but I don't notice you slagging them off.

You offer no facts in support of your opinion that Rodale's "is biased towards cheesy rec crap".

The only thing you offer is blind prejudice. At least I make an effort to find out the facts. The facts indicate no basis for your statement but support mine.

In fact you haven't yet offered any facts, so you can take your opinion and put it where the sun doesn't shine!

Welshman, I base mY facts on the fact that I own a Mares Axis octo and I think its junk compared even to my Aqua Lung regs..

I've dove Scubapro, Mares, Beauchat and Aqua Lung and frankly, wasn't very impressed with my Mares. In fact, I haven't been able to find a single LDS that SELLS Mares regs, except mail order.

I don't even know how this got turned into an argument about the merits of Rodale's. As I've already said, I could care less what they say, or don't say, about anything.

The fact is that Mares regs are inferior to other brands like Apeks and ScubaPro. This is not idle speculation or "blind prejudice," it it is based on the personal experiences of many people, including myself.

If you don't want to believe Mares makes inferior regs, I pity you.

- Warren

That was the point I was trying to get to. I guess I was going the long way around.
I understand that Tec divers like Scubapro and Apeks. They are good regulators. But there are a lot of other good regulators out there.
The biggest reason that I see for their support SP and Apeks is the GUE/DIR reasoning that you should be able to dis-assemble, repair and re-assemble the your regulator underwater. This is important for GUE/DIR/Tec divers (and it should be).
This is not a selling point for Rec divers. We are not trained to repair our regs out of the water much less underwater. If our reg quits, we switch to our backup and make safe ascent to the surface. If our first stage fails, we switch to buddy's backup and make safe ascent to the surface. The nature of TEC diving doesn't always afford them that luxury.
And I understand that you should buy equipment that can grow with you. But I'm not going to go out and buy a Ferrari transmission just back I "might" own a Ferrari someday.
A regulator is just another "tool in the toolbox", It can be Snap-On, Matco or Craftsman; but it has to do the job its designed for.

Jarhead

Jarhead,

The u/w repair issue is but one small issue. There are many more: hose routing, HP seat design, work of breathing vs. IP, breathing in different postures, MTBF, etc.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Jarhead,

The u/w repair issue is but one small issue. There are many more: hose routing, HP seat design, work of breathing vs. IP, breathing in different postures, MTBF, etc.

- Warren

OK. Please elaborate on these differences.

Jarhead

Back
Top Bottom