Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats all this crap talk about Mares not been a great Reg ?

I have been diving with my Mares Ruby for 5 years now well over 600 Dives, and I have never had a problem with them !!

Well, if they are SO good, why aren't many tech divers that I have ever read posts from on here using them?

Check ou the reviews at divernet. If they think something is rubbish they wont hesitate to say it. Mares get a pretty good write-up for their regs.

Mares were on my shopping list but i got a good deal on some Apeks TX40s in the end. Very nice:)

Hi

Apeks does nt have any problem with Nitrox. So dont worry about that.

PT40: i am not a Apeks salesman or in any way affiliated with Apeks(Except i have Apeks Regs. ofcourse.:) ) So i dont give a **** what Apeks thinks !

I dont like Mares Abbys because of it strange port settings(port sizes and angels) and stiff hoses, non adjustable sec stage and High IP(that you need to adjust as soon as you get it, in order to prevent it from easy freeflowing) and the high price comapred to the reliable Apeks TX50(DS4) and expensive maintaince. And uncomfortable mouth piece. Ok enough reasons? Also expensieve because it has nt Cold water Dive kit standard installed!!!

You can suggest ofcourse that i can replace the hoses, replace the mouth piece, adjust the IP, buy a CWD kit extra and let it installed but why ? Why not buy a High performance reg. that is much cheaper and in my humble opinion much better? By the way as i said many times: a reg must be able to grow with you. Suppose you do want to go into tech diving(now you dont maybe but why not let the options open for the future?) in the future, why not get a reg. that is highly rated by the real testers in the field ? Like the WKPP'ers and IANTD tech and cave divers ? Compared with their exprience i consider Rodales tests MICKY MOUSE tests from Disney Land.

I see a guy who has nt serviced his regs. (4 DS's and 4 times tx100's) for a long time !!! (I dont say this a good thing btw, please service your regs! at time people :) )
The DS4 have 350+ dives logged and the tx100 have 150+ dives logged. And they are in TOP breathing condition!

In my exprience i had alot of problems with the Abbys and along with me alot of other people here in my diveclub! Either they all bougth Apeks or some minority of them Poseidons(Cyklons mostly)
Karl i know al the regs you mentioned and i must say i was nt impressed by the Axis in his performance and to be honest i am not trusting these regs. if i do a cold water dive (or / and at night) or a high demanding dive. I had a Abbys and SP-MK25-S600. So go make some dives with the Zeagles and Apeks in some demanding situation and then compare! But be warned you may want to swap your reg for a Apeks !:)

**** i forgot the time :eek: (i am middle of my exams), have to go!
Keep it wet and have fun all, xerxes

If Mares are all that great then why are they all over E-BAY? I don't no of anyone using them for cold water diving and I have only seen them once on a dive here in the Upstate New York area. They were rentals as well.

chuckrt

See if you can get a copy of the US Navy's Regulator tests results.
Undercurrent carries an online copy on their Online Members page. It must be available elsewhere.

Jarhead

Mares regs are good - my wife has a V16 Proton which she likes. By all accounts both Apeks and Scubapro make good regs

My main point though is that there is some complete cr*p put on these boards about Mares and the likes of Rodale's Scubadiving.

Scuba446 and VTWarren, why don't you check your facts before making allegations about the partiality of magazines like Rodale's.

If you bothered to look you wouldn't find any advertising from Mares - at least for the last 7 months for which I've got copies to hand.

This seems to blow a hole in your theory. In fact Scuba446 it seems to support your own quote about drowning in information and yet still starving for wisdom!

Any comments?

Welshman:

1) Ok, so you don't know any more than I do about Mares buying off Rodale's. You don't work for them, so you can't possibly know any more than I do about them. Seeing as you're in no position to know, who are you to claim I am wrong?

2) I don't really care what Rodale's does or doesn't say about it anyway. It's common knowledge that Rodale's is biased toward cheesy rec crap. Regardless of what Rodale's has to say, Mares regs suck.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
It's common knowledge that Rodale's is biased toward cheesy rec crap.

Is that why ScubaPro and Zeagle also score so high with Rodale's?:)

Regardless of what Rodale's has to say, Mares regs suck. [/B]

Is this a fact or just your opinion?:)

Jarhead

Back
Top Bottom