Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I prefer many of my products to be automatic for personal convenience and ease of use so I can concentrate on enjoyment and other tasks."

SCUBA - I agree to a point. Yes, I have seen some dicres play with their venturi adj knobs more than actually dive..."Ahh, just a little this way, its free flowing too much now. Hmm, a little bit this way now, it breathing too hard now..." Tinker, tinker, tinker.

I too like my regs w/o lots of adjustments, and that why I like my AquaLung Titan and Titan LX Supreme...but I won't dare to say that they are superior to SP or Apeks. Now, I hear that the AquaLung IS very close to the Apeks - ture or not, I'm not sure..

Yes, the AquaLungs are pretty good regs.

I personally have never seen a diver twiddle with an adjustment knob... but then again, I don't usually dive with folks who are new to regulators.

I've seen several folks get really into the marketing hype, though -- and they come on here and start discussions about the V.I.V.A. or whatever and how it's much better than so-and-so. I guess those are same folks that twiddle their knobs (tongue in cheek) underwater.

I have a ScubaPro MK16/S550 that I use on stages, and it's a nice reg. I don't think I've ever really even touched the knob, though. I set it wide open when I first put it together.

- Warren

I understand the terms (except MTBF).

Jarhead,

I hope that I didn't misunderstand your request for info. MTBF stands for mean time between failure, and is usually quoted for any type of equipment that does work or undergoes stress. Of course, you want this to be as long as possible.

I didn't realize that reg manufactures published MTBF's for their products. Is that information available online?

-Greg

Warren your tripping over your own feet. You stated all the negatives of the Mares, all the positives of the Apeks. Again......

For someone researching the pro's and con's of a product this of limited use. Now I am really curious.

Will somebody out there please list some of the negative points of the perfect Apeks?

Peter

Drawbacks of Apeks..

Hmmm I can really only think of two, off the top of my head:

1) Some of them have a 1/2" port, which has to be plugged. This is annoying.

2) They're not known for cold-water performance.

- Warren

Originally posted by Scuba

Will somebody out there please list some of the negative points of the perfect Apeks?

Peter
Hmm...I can't think of any actually.:boom:

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Drawbacks of Apeks..

Hmmm I can really only think of two, off the top of my head:

1) Some of them have a 1/2" port, which has to be plugged. This is annoying.

2) They're not known for cold-water performance.

- Warren
1) The 1/2" port doesn't have to be plugged, you can buy 1/2" hoses (even DIR length hoses in 1/2") Also if you choose to use a 3/8" hose in the 1/2" port there is a little fitting that can convert the 1/2" port to except a 3/8" hose. No big deal it adds one extra o-ring.

2) They are well known to be excellent cold water performers!

Hi GP

no offense but the way you explain this is not entirely DIR.

DIR does'nt promote only the correct length but also usage of standardized ports! This combination is fully DIR. But even George Irvine is using the Apeks ATX100. I emailed him about this matter and answer was: you can use for the back-up : 1/2"port and for the longhose use the 3/8"standard port.

Have fun, xerxes

This raises an interesting point. All adjustable (by which I mean effort adjustment knobs, not venturi boost levers) regs don't have the same range of adjustment. On some normal is in the middle of the range, so you can adjust in the field from free flow to sort-of-hard. On others normal is the easiest breathing postion, so the range is from normal-to-real-hard. Older Scubapros were like that. If you followed the official instructions, you tuned an adjustable G250 and a non-adjustable in exactly the same way, and the G200B with no adjustment would breath just like the G250 in the easiest breathing position.

Obviously, the former type is more useful since you can loosen the poppet way down for when the reg isn't in use to prolong seat life somewhat, as well as crank in a little positive pressure when you are working hard or stressed out. On the latter kind the main use of the adjustment is to eliminate any leakage that might happen after the soft parts take a set, and maybe to crank up the breathing effort for when scootering or busting surf.

The thing is, you don't have to twiddle with an adjustable 2nd for it to earn its keep.I like adjustments on 2nds. On a good reg you don't need the adjustments much, but when you need them, they are very useful. They also mean the tech can tune the reg more aggresively, since the any tendency to leak or freeflow can be dealt with by the owner.

With non-balanced regs they were even more useful. I used to regularly give the knob on my SP 109 (old classic chrome 2nd) a half turn half way through the dive, to compensate for tank pressure changes.

BTW people who equate Mares lack of adjustment with being "automatic" are deluding themselves. Automatic to me means the thing does the adjustment for me - like a balanced reg! - not that it just doesn't permit any adjustment. Sort of the difference between a auto and fixed focus camera. The Mares regs have no adjustments, and aren't even balanced. It's amazing how much performance Mares has been able to get out of the design, but functionally the 2nds are identical to my 1970 Voit.

I personally have never seen a diver twiddle with an adjustment knob... but then again, I don't usually dive with folks who are new to regulators.

I've seen several folks get really into the marketing hype, though -- and they come on here and start discussions about the V.I.V.A. or whatever and how it's much better than so-and-so. I guess those are same folks that twiddle their knobs (tongue in cheek) underwater.

I have a ScubaPro MK16/S550 that I use on stages, and it's a nice reg. I don't think I've ever really even touched the knob, though. I set it wide open when I first put it together.

- Warren

- Warren

GP,

The 1/2" port really shouldn't be used, since it's not standard. Adding an adapter is actually a bad thing, in my opinion, since the 1/2" port has no real advantage over the 3/8" port, ESPECIALLY when adapted for use with a standard 3/8" hose! Most of my crowd just plugs the 1/2" port.

It's good to know that the Apeks do well in the cold, too -- I'm not into ice diving, and haven't had the worry. :D I've often heard of people using Odins for really hardcore cold-water diving.

- Warren

Back
Top Bottom