Mares or OMS - Cant decide for the life of me....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Rol diy, thank you for feedback. The point of different size back pates is really valuable as I am 6'4. Can see that you are in Ontario - did a couple of dives in Lake Ontario 20 years ago (around 2002) and enjoyed it. Remember that you around that time had a huge influx of a white clam that I believe was not native and had come in via the ballast water in a ship? Back to plate - Using steel tanks in the UK (not Aluminum) so maybe from that perspective I have enough weigh on my back anyway and can afford to go with a lighter material such as Aluminum?
Yes the zebra mussels are still here, they clean the water, but build up on all surfaces.

I am 6'2" dive twin steel 72s,
With a ss BP, with dry suit I need 12lbs more weight, 7 mm wet it's a tad heavy, but we do alot of fast drift dives, and it nice to be a bit heavy,,,

Sounds like you're going to need a long plate, half my years diving I had a stock plate, but it was hard with long arms to clip and unclip to the waist D rings,
And didn't sit on the back as nice,

Make sure when you try it on your hands can naturally reach ( not awkward) the D ring, or waist belt that's at your hips and plate,
I make an extension for my standard plate and it gives me even lower wait belt slots and clip point for stage or pony, and it rides more sidemount,,, plus I have a small bungee on my left so I hardly ever top clip the bottle, I don't like dangly tanks

Attachments

• 20211016_121822.jpg
    20211016_121822.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211018_091022.jpg
    20211018_091022.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 62
Why MARES put two dump valves on the bottom is beyond me. You only need one on your left side. As for the angle/position of the inflator it really doesn't matter because whatever it comes with from the factory, all you have to do is loosen the nut and angle it the way you want it. Looking at just what the OP listed, the tec line with a 15L wing and basic harness would be what I'd recommend to a student for single tanks. 17L at most for cold water with heavy steel single.
Now I've only sold/set up around 100 BPW's over the last 10 years and have about 500 dives in one (actually 7 or 8 different ones by different mfgs) with singles and doubles so it's just my opinion for what it's worth. Oh and I do have an 11 page essay on them that I've sent to probably 150 people who have requested it and they seem to have found it useful.

with the pricing on long backplates, you might as well go halcyon and then mix with a tecline wing to stay on budget.

I used to have a DGX BP/W before switching to sidmeouunt Xdeep Stealth 2.0 Tec.
But I have handled the Zen/Zeos and DGX S1.

So here are my impressions.

Xdeep has really good corrugated hoses, they use a standar K inflator with plastic buttons which I've found to be a bit more robust than the metal one (the metal ones oxidize) especially in salty water.

The outer shell is more robust on the Xdeep, but the DGX has super robust cordura type shell, while the Xdeep is branded Cordura.

The connector on the Zen is integrated in the wing, while the corrugated hose is standard.
Xdeep uses the large size D rings, which I'm split on.

Disregard the comfort adjustable harnesses.

Overall, in europe Xdeep is good as anything.

Now Zen and the NX plate vs standard Zeos.
i'd go with Zen NX, mostly to the fact that the plate is more comforable, and it carries weight better and it's easier to get in and out in a drysuit since the belt tightens the shoulder straps.

You're not getting less material, and if the plate due to it's size is not skeletonized would be heavy as a regual 6mm plate.

Hey do have a 6mm version of the NX plate.

The Zen and the Project wings are on par with halcyon ones that I've seen in out club.

and have some clever things like the narrow profile similar to the DGX S1 and the VDH Argounaut which is IMHO better than the classic donut style that others use.

Don't bother with the Ghost, it's a travel since wall bladder. and it's meh in my opinion.

I'd go with the NX Zen, and add the optional weight pockets if you want.

I have the XDeep Zen and for me the inflator hose was too short so I added a 22" hose and now it seems perfect. Could use a 19" hose as well. Stock it comes with a 16" hose which is way too short. Mine does not bother my neck now that I have lengthened it....on my XDeep Ghost I went with 19" hose
Ok - starting to lean towards the XDeep Zen as got allot of positive feedback on that one. From videos on you-tube I full see the issue with the short hose. Being 6'4 (193 cm) I would have to extend it for sure. Did you go for a XDeep 22" hose or another solution? Thanks:)

Yes the zebra mussels are still here, they clean the water, but build up on all surfaces.

I am 6'2" dive twin steel 72s,
With a ss BP, with dry suit I need 12lbs more weight, 7 mm wet it's a tad heavy, but we do alot of fast drift dives, and it nice to be a bit heavy,,,

Sounds like you're going to need a long plate, half my years diving I had a stock plate, but it was hard with long arms to clip and unclip to the waist D rings,
And didn't sit on the back as nice,

Make sure when you try it on your hands can naturally reach ( not awkward) the D ring, or waist belt that's at your hips and plate,
I make an extension for my standard plate and it gives me even lower wait belt slots and clip point for stage or pony, and it rides more sidemount,,, plus I have a small bungee on my left so I hardly ever top clip the bottle, I don't like dangly tanks
Great Info - thank you!

I used to have a DGX BP/W before switching to sidmeouunt Xdeep Stealth 2.0 Tec.
But I have handled the Zen/Zeos and DGX S1.

So here are my impressions.

Xdeep has really good corrugated hoses, they use a standar K inflator with plastic buttons which I've found to be a bit more robust than the metal one (the metal ones oxidize) especially in salty water.

The outer shell is more robust on the Xdeep, but the DGX has super robust cordura type shell, while the Xdeep is branded Cordura.

The connector on the Zen is integrated in the wing, while the corrugated hose is standard.
Xdeep uses the large size D rings, which I'm split on.

Disregard the comfort adjustable harnesses.

Overall, in europe Xdeep is good as anything.

Now Zen and the NX plate vs standard Zeos.
i'd go with Zen NX, mostly to the fact that the plate is more comforable, and it carries weight better and it's easier to get in and out in a drysuit since the belt tightens the shoulder straps.

You're not getting less material, and if the plate due to it's size is not skeletonized would be heavy as a regual 6mm plate.

Hey do have a 6mm version of the NX plate.

The Zen and the Project wings are on par with halcyon ones that I've seen in out club.

and have some clever things like the narrow profile similar to the DGX S1 and the VDH Argounaut which is IMHO better than the classic donut style that others use.

Don't bother with the Ghost, it's a travel since wall bladder. and it's meh in my opinion.

I'd go with the NX Zen, and add the optional weight pockets if you want.
Thank you - your response have cemented XDeep as a choice, just need to work out the bells and whistles now:) Bering tall I will need a 22" hose as the standard one will be to short for me. Cheers

We need to go back to the start. What type of diving are you doing? What type(s) of exposure suit? How much lead are you currently using on what type of BCD
I have the XDeep Zen and for me the inflator hose was too short so I added a 22" hose and now it seems perfect. Could use a 19" hose as well. Stock it comes with a 16" hose which is way too short. Mine does not bother my neck now that I have lengthened it....on my XDeep Ghost I went with 19" hose
Question - I plan to do more single tank diving and traveling then I plan to do twin tank tec diving. In your opinion have you got even use of both the Zen and the Ghost or could you have done both rec and tec with Zen only (just reconfiguring it for different use when needed?). I will probably dive single tank/travel more than I will dive double tank so I if you feel that having both have been beneficial then I am tempted getting the Ghost first and later the Zen? Or s two over-kill and I should go for the Zen only?

If you get the Zen with the Aluminum plate it will work for both travel and local. The wing on the Zen has double ply protection and is more durable than the Ghost wing. The Ghost has an aluminum plate and the wing does not have an extra protective cover around it just the single ply wing although it seems quite durable. The ghost is the travel BC. I have the dump pockets on both of them. The Zen is modular and the ghost is not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom