OMS Single tank Wing - A good buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timeandtide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,
I have had my mares xr outer burst and am having such a pain replacing it that it looks like I will just get a whole replacement wing.
I can get an OMS mono performance wing from my local dive shop at what seems like a reasonable $230USD. Any reasons not to go ahead? Have never really heard of OMS and none I know dives them.
My other local option is a Halcyon at $600USD - worth the extra or just paying for label?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Hi everyone,
I have had my mares xr outer burst and am having such a pain replacing it that it looks like I will just get a whole replacement wing.
I can get an OMS mono performance wing from my local dive shop at what seems like a reasonable $230USD. Any reasons not to go ahead? Have never really heard of OMS and none I know dives them.
My other local option is a Halcyon at $600USD - worth the extra or just paying for label?

Thanks for the help and advice.
Bargain. Go for it.
I have been using the old model for several yrs now. No issue.
OMS has been around many many yrs.
Difference of US$350.00! Should be able to cover for few days of diving in Tioman next season.

This is the new model.

My wife uses that wing and loves it , except for one issue, the fenstop ( pull dump), it is so hard to pull that she cannot make it function whilst diving... I changed the pull dump thinking it must have been a lemon but the new one was just as difficult to pull. The inner steel cable pulls on a L shaped pivot which in turns pushes against a plate which is countered by a strong spring.. It's not a very efficient method and even after cutting 2/3 of the spring it was still difficult to open, so for safety's sake I put an original uncut spring back in and let it be.

The low pressure inflator works well so she just uses that instead..

They are solid, well made wings apart from that one issue. In our club OMS are easilly the mode common make of wings.

Make sure which size your are buying, 12kg vs14kg could make a difference depending on how you dive of course ( cold water , steel tanks/backplates, having to lift another divers etc )

That’s a good deal.
OMS has been around for years. I first bought an OMS plate and a few wings from Leisure Pro back in 2000.
I still have the plate and one of the wings. Wing still works.

I have been using the 32lb version of this (pink of course!) for over 100 dives in 3.5 years. Works great in my local cold water, and when I travel to warm water as well. Mine came with the "plain elbow", which works fine. After the initial descent, I mainly use the butt dump anyways -- I don't see any upside in the pull dump, it just has more movable parts to break.

DGX is listing this at $316 right now, so if your LDS has it for $230, I'd say go for it.

Thanks everyone - by way of an update, I now have the new OMS 27lb wing (exclusively warm water for me - after Scotland never again!). Decided to get a new harness so am waiting on the webbing and looking forward to using it in November! Thanks for the recommendations!

Here's an OMS Mono 32

017.JPG

See

018.JPG

I'll bet you didn't see that

013.JPG

Let torture on the rocks begin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom