Mares Carbon 42 or Proton 42 for cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jac_3232

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need a new set of regs, and I’ve narrowed it down to the Mares Proton 42 and the Carbon 42. My 2 main concerns are that they’re cold water capable at depth (40F below 100&#8217:wink:, and ease of breathing. Both models are “Extreme Cold Water” rated by Mares. Many of my dive buddies have Proton’s so I know they’re capable regs. I’d really appreciate feedback from people who have dove the Carbon in 40 degree water (or colder) below 90 feet. From reading, the Carbon has better thermal conductivity than steel, but it’s always good to hear from actual users. Feedback from a Mares rep would also be appreciated.

According to the Mares website, the Ext Work of Breathing is .67 for the Proton, and .66 for the Carbon. The WOB for the Abyss 42 is .90, which surprised me. As a comparison, the Sherwood SR1 WOB is below .50 and the Apeks XTX200 is .41.

Thanks,

We have used both with great success in cold and under the ice. I personally dive with the Proton Ice Extreme and have never had an issue. Two of our divemasters are diving Carbons with same success. We regularily dive Lake Michigan on a local wreck at 130' with temps of 38 - 42 degrees. You won't be sorry with either one. Just make sure you get the cold water environmental kit installed.

Back
Top Bottom