Question Preparing physically and mentally for cold water dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swearing works for me. I hit a cold thermocline and a few "holy s*it"s and similar yelled thru the reg helps me adjust for some reason.
I feel like this might be an underrated method. It definitely falls under mental preparation and I'll be using this technique along with the others I've learned in this thread :rofl3: Thx you!

It feels cold in the face only as long as you feel your face.
This is very true, and also a hilarious post. A work of art. It perfectly portrays my impression of the Finnish culture. Succinct and dark deadpan humor. In my head I heard this line with a Finnish accent and I laughed out loud. Thank you.

Inflating DSMB with numb face is an experience, you have use your fingers for holding lips against the pipe, otherwise you just blow bubbles. And it's not cold that hurts, it's the warming up part when whole face starts to tingle.

Swearing works for me. I hit a cold thermocline and a few "holy s*it"s and similar yelled thru the reg helps me adjust for some reason.

Haha, this is too true, and it certainly does help!

As for what you can do, the biggest one is diving dry and going all-in on it. A hood is a must, as is dry gloves with liners. Having a great undergarment makes all the difference in keeping your core warm. I personally like to wear thick winter thermal socks as well.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do for the face really. You just expect it's going to go numb. But hey, at least it can't get frost-bitten underwater...

Proper Suits for the temperature is important. Sudden changes of course impact you more, especially if you do not expect.
I think a hood is most important, because thats protecting the zone where you are breathing.

You could take a few cold showers or like change the temperature to train your breathing. So it is also experience. I try to do a few breaths into the belly to get used to the temperature, which helps me to accomodate. The larger the temperature drop the harder it is.

In the end if you feel uncomfortable you need to ascend, period.

Fun fact: yesterday I had been at around 20 to 25m with 8°C and my semidry. After like 15-20min I started to freeze, but that was ok.
However from time to time, when I get a massage (medical background ... not for "joy") in a warm room, I am so relaxed that even under the towel I am freezing and my body starts to shake.

I wear a motorcycle neopren belt under my suit, so me belly stays warmer longer and is not touched by cold water immediately. As well is a rash guard helping in that sense. Additonally I wear a shorty over my regular suit "ice vest". One has the zipper on the front, the other on the back. So I minimize the direct water exchange and I do not feel a huge amount of cold water instantly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom