Marathon dive operator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be with a group of 6-7 divers in staying in Key Largo in mid-february. We want to dive for a day in Marathon later in the week - want to dive the Thunderbolt for sure.
All divers are experienced divers so we don't really need any hand-holding - just basic transportation to the dive site. We're looking to do 3-4 dives.
So far I have gotten prices from Halls Diving and Tildens which would not be private charters but the group pricing is decent.

Anyone have thoughts on these dive operators (Halls or Tildens) or have suggestions for others. We don't need a big boat, but would prefer not to be crowded, have space for cameras, and a head.
Suggestions?
Thanks.

Have not dived in the area yet, but that changes next weekend. I am diving Tildens on Sat/Sun., Was referred to them by Conch Republic in Tavernier. So maybe after next weekend I can give you an opinion on that one anyway...

Captain Hooks is good or even Abyss, either way call ahead I think Abyss will
set up the dive if you call ahead and guarantee a few divers. Captain Hook I
believe sends a DM down with the group on the thunderbolt. Call a little in advance with either outfit and I think they'll accomodate your request for that wreck. It's
a great wreck !

Kevin

Captain Hooks, for sure. Hall's is okay, but they usually take larger groups. You'll love the T-bolt, she's a great wreck. There's a really big jewfish that can usually be found hanging around the screw. It's pretty deep there, though, about 120'. You can penetrate most of the ship easily, but keep an eye out for morays inside and along the walkways, port and starboard. Make sure to take a camera, the photo to get is of your buddy at the wheel, shot from just in front of the bridge.

I've dove with Hall's, Tilden's and Capt Hook. I would say to stick with either Capt. Hook or Tilden's, both are very professional and personable. T-Bolt is a great wreck and the Jewfish is very nice, got real close to it on rebreather.

Just dove with Tildens last Sat and Sun. Real good folks; good operation, in my opinion. They even bent the 3 diver minimum rule to take only two divers out to the Thunderbolt, since I had booked several weeks ago. Then the other guy didn't show, and they took me by myself. A captain, a DM to buddy with me, and me. Made me feel SPECIAL. ha ha. They do treat you right, though.

The T-bolt was great. Saw a whole family of goliath groupers there. It was a sweet dive.

I like Captain Hooks because Capt. Jerry wears a speedo! :)

redhatmama:
I like Captain Hooks because Capt. Jerry wears a speedo! :)

Well let's see that is definitely a reason to vote against Captain Hooks :)

Paul in VT

My experiences with Capt Hook and Tilden was not that good. I was diving Nitrox and using a 120 CF tank and they still insisted I stay with the "group" (I have my own buddy with similar equipment). Max bottom time was 15 Minutes.

The mistake I made was I did not inquire ahead of time. I assumed they would respect experienced divers (we are both instructors). The Thunderbolt is a great dive. My multilevel profile is 45 minutes on this wreck with no deco. I use 30% Nitrox.

And, the second dive was a nondescript reef at 30 feet.

I have been diving Marathon and the middle Keys for several years and I have tried them all. I do have two recommendations for dive operatrors that will allow experienced divers to dive. Paradise Divers on Sunshine Key and Wreckrecation Divers in Cudjoe Key. Both will take you to the Thunderbolt and the Busch. And if you have the experience, skip the shallow reef dive and do a second dive on the wrecks!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom