Marathon dive operator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy and I are also going to be going down to Marathon in mid March and are looking for a dive operator there. We are college students so money is at a premium. We don't need a private charter or anything like that, just a reliable operation to take us out to the dive site. So far we have been looking at Halls who seem very reasonable and Captain Hooks. Any other suggestions? Also we would like to dive the Adolphus Busch and Looe Key, any suggestions of operators for that dive?

If Jerry is still there, I would vote for Capt. Hooks (nothing to do with the speedo really). He's very safety-conscious. For instance, we were diving and a huge thunderstom came up and he put on his gear and and located us all with a note on his slate telling us not to surface yet. He also has a good sense of humor. I haven't dived with Halls.

Inner Space for the Adolphus Busch:

http://www.diveinnerspace.com/

If I recall, they require AOW for that dive.

Hope this helps.

ndavy:
Also we would like to dive the Adolphus Busch and Looe Key, any suggestions of operators for that dive?

Looe Key Dive Center, Paradise Divers, or Underseas are three charters in that area.
I dove with Looe Key Dive Center and Underseas but don't remember which one I used
for the Adolphus Busch dive.

Kevin

Just got back from diving with Capt Hooks - nice people and both Captains - Jerry and Doug Morgan - were great. Very good briefings and very safety concious. We had some bad weather (blown out 2 days), but they did their best to make it a good trip.

The Reef Hopper has just come out of overhaul and is great shape. Easy boat to dive from.

Well... Here's my $0.02 for what it's worth...

I dove with Capt Hook proper and they did sent a dive "supervisor" down on the Thunderbolt who reminded one buddy team in our group that her time had expired and it was time to go. This was at 13 minutes into the dive when we were all diving 30% and had plenty of air. Capt Morgan used to be an independant operator and has been highly recommended, but I'm not sure what his current status is as far as his association with Capt Hook's.

As far as diving Looe Key and the Busch, Underseas and Looe Key Dive Center both have big boats and take out a lot of divers. Underseas does the Busch but not on any schedule that I've been able to determine. They run 2-tank trips, morning and afternoon. Looe Key goes out to the wreck on Wednesdays and Saturdays. They do a 3-tank dive which is 1 on the wreck then 2 on the reef.

Innerspace and Wreckreation Charters (me) both run 6-pack boats and I'm sure they, as well as I, would be more than happy to tailor a trip based on what the divers want to do.

I've seen Paradise Divers boat out on the water, but I know just about nothing about their operation.

As far as nitrox is concerned, Underseas, Innerspace and I have nitrox, Looe Key does not unless it's a very new development.

On a final note... as much as I'd love to do a Thunderbolt/Busch/Reef trip, I haven't ever taken my boat to the Thunderbolt so I have no idea how to tie in to it, I know it's a sunken barrel, and I don't have the GPS coordinates although I'm sure I could get them. So, for the T-bolt, I'd recommend a Marathon operator and for the Busch and Looe Key, I'd recommend myself, but then again, I'm biased :D

Hope that helps!

Rachel

My wife and I dove with Doug Morgan's crew a couple of years ago. It was our first dive since certification and things were great. They took great care of us. Capt. Doug moved his business because of storm damage to the marina at Bananna Bay. Wouldn't hesitate to dive with them again.

Rachel, I would have been seriously pissed if someone interrupted my dive on the TBolt at 13 minutes into the dive. And you're an instructor too? I don't know. I know that Capt. Hooks has changed hands at least 3 times in the past 3 years. I only dive with Jerry because I know him and he lets us dive our profiles if possible. Sometimes, I think it's more of a case if you know someone well enough that they trust you rather than your actual experience that determines if you are going to be micromanaged or babysat.

You should give some of the Marathon shops competition on the Thunderbolt. I've been out with most of them. Abyss is nice and safe. I don't like big boats like Tildens.

If you are offering a tailored diving trip, I'll come down and dive with you next time I'm in Florida. Sounds like your dive op is the type I want to support.

And I tip well too! :D

biscuit7:
So, for the T-bolt, I'd recommend a Marathon operator and for the Busch and Looe Key, I'd recommend myself, but then again, I'm biased :D

Hope that helps!

Rachel

Hi Rachel, I've bookmarked your dive charters web site and I'll try to get on one
of your Adolphus Busch trips later this month. I'll be mostly in Key Largo but plan
on coming down for a day or two to do the thunderbolt and the Busch. Do you
ever run any three tank trips ? I'll be down that way probably on a Wednesday or
Thursday.

Kevin

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom