Diving in Marathon, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are couple of wrecks off Marathon but I've never seen a charter on any but the Thunderbolt. There's a barge in 200' and a couple other broke up wrecks in similar depths.

Well, if you dive rebreather then I assume you’re traveling with your own and it wouldn’t be an issue, correct? I doubt that you would be able to find a rental rebreather that you are certified for, but maybe you’ve already figured that bit out?

But tec diving or not, the only think you need to worry about is BAR -> PSI and Litres -> Cubic feet. If you can’t remember the conversions, just write them on a slate.
I want to try a rebreather out, I don't have my own (...yet!) but they seem really versatile and practical, as well as looking cool, so I was wanting to try one out.

I want to try a rebreather out, I don't have my own (...yet!) but they seem really versatile and practical, as well as looking cool, so I was wanting to try one out.
Ah. Well you can’t actually just try a rebreather out. They require extensive training and certification and, more specifically, require training and certification on each specific model.

You would have to enroll in a training class for a specific model and do a lot of classroom and closed water training time before ever being let free in the open ocean.

Ah. Well you can’t actually just try a rebreather out. They require extensive training and certification and, more specifically, require training and certification on each specific model.

You would have to enroll in a training class for a specific model and do a lot of classroom and closed water training time before ever being let free in the open ocean.
Ah interesting, I was looking at Horizon Divers in Key Largo and they offered a Discover Rebreather program (which I assume and hope is in a pool session with an instructor close by), so maybe I'm misunderstanding it?

Discover Rebreather program (which I assume and hope is in a pool session with an instructor close by)
Yes, typically confined water, limited depth, instructor close and vigilant, perhaps 30-45 mins actual dive. There are some opportunities for full-day, more in-depth experience. (Those links are primarily for background info, although check with them as they may have someone available in FL at that time. I would not hesitate to book something with Horizon, either.)

Lots of manufacturers and instructors are happy to do a try dive for someone. It's like taking a discover scuba course, you learn some theory then practice some skills then go for a guided dive to 20-30'.

Ah interesting, I was looking at Horizon Divers in Key Largo and they offered a Discover Rebreather program (which I assume and hope is in a pool session with an instructor close by), so maybe I'm misunderstanding it?
Yes, this is like a “Intro to Tech” course. If you’re looking to just get the feel of a rebreather in closed waters or very limited depths, you can take this course. But you won’t be doing 100ft dives on it without the right academic and in-water training.

Yes, this is like a “Intro to Tech” course. If you’re looking to just get the feel of a rebreather in closed waters or very limited depths, you can take this course. But you won’t be doing 100ft dives on it without the right academic and in-water training.
Course not! I wouldn't risk it, I simply wanted to take a day out and try out a rebreather to see if it was for me, in terms of weight, cost, experience etc. So it sounds perfect!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom