Manado Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selamut pagi Bo diver!

I'm in Indonesia right now and I couldn't get the site to come up. I was thinking it had something to do with being in Indonesia? The whole time I was in Bali the site wouldn't come up, but here in Sulawesi it's been no problem. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

Pamela

Hey Pam!
Yeah, i guess maybe a regional problem, I don't know if it because of denial from the host or just our ISP here had problem. Either way, Scubaboard is back here so i think we are fine :)
How do you enjoy ur trip in bali? I hope u saw mola2 :)
and have fun diving in Manado too! :)

JenM, Bodiver and Quero, Thanks for your input for the Manado area. I am sorry to get back so late but I am just in from a 9-week exodus from Okinawa and am back to seriously plan my Sulewesi trip. I will check out the new resorts JenW and Quero. Do they have AC? I was in Pohnpei in the loveliest dive resort this summer, (The Village) but they did not have AC and the 95%-100% humidity and rain at nights kept me up at night for a few hours so I learned my lesson.

Can anyone tell me how long of a boat ride it is to Lembah from the Bunaken area? How about a resort there (with AC)? Would prefer a room under $100 or less.

Thanks again all! The Scubaboard is a fantastic place to use for planning!

Tarzana

no idea about sailing time bunaken to lembeh.

as of beginning of this year there were 3 resorts with more to come

1. kungkungan resort
2. lembeh resort
3. lembeh diver lodge

1 and 2 are about the same price wise. nbr. 1 is it also pricewise. cheaper is the diver lodge but rooms do not have ac. and living there is a bit special ;-(

however, diving is the same.

Quero,

so where would you stay when you go back to the Manado area?

tarzana

Tarzana, the Santika resort in Manado does have AC. We also stayed at a place on Banggka Island that did not. Since we are both very affected by heat/humidity, it was pretty miserable! The diving was great though.

Boat or van transfers between Manado and Lembeh take 2-3 hours, but it is easier to get a van transfer. Most of the dive resorts take divers over to Lembeh for day trips so it is pretty easy to arrange. It's a long day, but a good way to get a taste of Lembeh without actually transferring over there.

The two dive resorts that are actually on the Lembeh Straits that have AC are both more than $100/day (Lembeh resort and Kunkungan) so if price is a concern, you may be better off staying in Manado and just doing a daytrip, especially if you only have a few days in the area.

Got back from lembeh a few weeks ago. KBR (Kunkungan) is one of the best operations i've dived with. Nice small resort, good food, great service and diving. I am already planing on going back there. Its expensive but worth it.

Eco divers at Tasik Ria was a well run operation. The boat ride out takes around an hour. The resort is large. One down side was the food at Tasik Ria was fairly lame.

Cheers,
Rohan.

tarzana:
Quero,

so where would you stay when you go back to the Manado area?

tarzana

Tarzana,
At Lembeh I would stay at KBR or Lembeh Resort. I think I'll try Two Fish next time I go to Bunaken, or if I can get a deal, Siladen Resort (for the post-dive luxury).

www.lumbalumbadiving.com has air conditioning and a generator that will cut in when (not if) there is a power cut. Position slightly higher up overlooking the bay is also cool for breezes and the view just chills you out. Water cooler in all cottages and fridge and tea/coffee/kettle. This is a Dutch run operation who have years of experience.

Food - Martin their cook is a chef! All parts of service is personalised which includes the food - so they try to suit your tastes. We liked spicy Indonesian and Martin did a knockout Indo curry. We like fish - we got fish. If you want burgers - he can do them too. Food on the boat - you choose what you would like in your lunch so you get to eat what you want, not just whatever is being served up on the boat that day.

So - no sweat, no thirst, no hunger.

Diving - 2 minutes down the path through the gardens and down to their jetty, all gear on boat, fish ID books on boat, towels on boat, water on boat, food on boat, smiles everywhere on boat, dolphins not on the boat (they're in the water with the pilot whales). (And lumbalumba is Indonesian for dolphin.)

Now check out the prices - huge value. The web-site is true except that cottages and gardens are more beautiful.

And the vast majority of their guests are repeated repeats. These guys work their socks off to make it all happen, hence our support. And we're going again.

How's this for quality? Roel labelled my fins nearly 10 years ago (those darned Mares never wear out!) and the labelling is still on there and legible.

The diving in Manado is excellent. They are quite close to PoPoh - but a giant stride off lumbalumba's jetty and you're in critter heaven.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom