Manado Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alc16:
Hi guys/gals....

Apologies to Sinners for hijacking this thread - i'll probably get flamed for asking....
I have some query which you may all laugh/cry about.

The draw of great diving is irresistable however, i've been doing a little research about the risks of the area. The UK goverment has advised against any "non-essential" (I think getting wet is essential!) travel to Indonesia due to threats of a terrorist nature. This also include North Sulewesi. Also, there is the continued ethnic issues within various parts of Indonesia.

Ok, i've been living in London for the last 8 years and have survived 3 bombs (yes, ones that have gone off), plus a countless number of bomb threats. My question is - in all your opinions, how safe is the Manado area for westerners? I really want to go but if there is a high risk threat then I may pass on it. For those who reside in Asia, have you heard of anything else about that region in terms of "terrorist" activity?

Sorry if you all think this is a dumb sh** query - i've never been to Indonesia so am unable to quantify the immediate risk. I've been to Thailand quite a few times so can sort of "judge" where to go/avoid (ok, the risk is potentially there).

Feel free to PM me so that we can take this off-topic.

Rgs
Al.

I'd be intrested in that answer too. The world has become so strange that you really need to address these issues. Does anyone know of Kungkungan Bay Resort in Sulawesi?

Pilotfish: I can only say that I also looked at that resort and it looks fantastic, but somewhat expensive. Seems that the two ecodiver sites are quite exclusive.

Regarding the security issue: After asking the question I have done a lot of searching in various forums (including Lonely Planet Thorn Tree), and am getting pretty confident about Manado and North Sulawesi.
Check this extensive thread: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagepost.cfm?postaction=reply&catid=23&threadid=490371&messid=4353781&STARTPAGE=1&parentid=0&from=1&showall=true

Another couple of questions regarding the region:
a) Did anyone try one of the underwater digital photoclasses that I see is offered in the North Sulawesi region?
Noted both froggie divers and Lembah area have classes.

b) Can someone explain the muck diving that is talked about around the Lembah strait.

Thanks

Been going to Manado and Lembeh for the last 11 years at least annually, when KBR started and been diving around Bunaken. Manado is safe and secure. Never had any problems in my cumulative 1 year there. Been through volcano eruptions and earthquakes there too.
The diving around Bunaken is pretty docile, without very strong currents which allow for nice drift dives.
Muck is basically sandy bottoms with trash around and critters which hide amongst them.

Another question:

Someone elsewhere advised against staying on the east side of Bukanen as they said that there was a lot of mangroves in front of the cabins (no proper beach) and thus a lot of mosquitoes. In addition lots of trash should be flowing onto the west side in April-May.

On the other hand I read that the west side is prone to noise from all night parties.

Any comments on this?

I was In Manado last year in August. No woories at all about the people or safety. I never felt a threat while i was there and I went to town on mnay evenings. I can say that Santika/Thalassa are first class operations, Simone who runs the dive center has been there for 7 years and she knows her *****. This resort is only 5-10 minutes from Bunaken and much closer to Bangka than the other resorts. There's 2 other hotels close to Thalassa to fit anyones budget. Stay ánd dive there you wont be dissappointed. I would not stay on Bunaken, I have read that increased tourism on the island is damaging the reef, stay at Santika, it's very close.

Hello,
Most of these posts on Manado area are from last year...Has anyone been to Sulewesi/Manado lately and have recent info on the diving and hotels in the area?
tarzana

alc16:
I was set on going to Koh Tao for a few weeks in October (have about 3 weeks spare) but looking at Manado, my mind keeps changing.

Does Manado kick butt over Koh Tao - dive quality (ignoring the "conveyor belt" of diver numbers in Koh Tao)?
Koh Tao is good for training dives ... However .. overall the Gulf of Thailand is mediocre diving ... so go for the better diving .... you won't be sorry.

Yes, was there in July 05. Have been going for 9 years - quality of diving last year seemed to be improvement on previous 2 years. Beautiful walls on Bunaken and superb critters Manado-side. They are finding more and more such as Pegasus sea-horse, hairy frogfish, orang-utan crabs at sites.

www.lumbalumbadiving.com

Beautiful new lodge and superb personalised service from long-established Roel and Juud Jung-Dikkers team. The diving off their jetty is stunning - so much macro that you can end up not going more than 20 yards in over an hour. That is, if you can drag your eyes away from their resident shoal of baby and juvenile batfish. Then there are things like crocodile fish, octopus, etc. We had a great time and were able to call the shots on the type of dive - just us with one or two dive guides. They operate a really good scheme - snorkeller diveguide on the surface acting as a "spotter" - and these guys have eyes like eagles.

Also very helpful in organising trips into the area. Their guides are all local to the area and are delighted to show you around.

No - we're not on commission - but we had a brilliant time there and the other guests were also repeat-visitors who loved the place - and the lumbalumba team deserve the publicity.

(lumbalumba means dolphin in Indonesian - and guess what you stand a good chance of seeing from the boat - yes, that's right, and also pilot whales!)

alc16:
Hi guys/gals....

Apologies to Sinners for hijacking this thread - i'll probably get flamed for asking....
I have some query which you may all laugh/cry about.

The draw of great diving is irresistable however, i've been doing a little research about the risks of the area. The UK goverment has advised against any "non-essential" (I think getting wet is essential!) travel to Indonesia due to threats of a terrorist nature. This also include North Sulewesi. Also, there is the continued ethnic issues within various parts of Indonesia.

Ok, i've been living in London for the last 8 years and have survived 3 bombs (yes, ones that have gone off), plus a countless number of bomb threats. My question is - in all your opinions, how safe is the Manado area for westerners? I really want to go but if there is a high risk threat then I may pass on it. For those who reside in Asia, have you heard of anything else about that region in terms of "terrorist" activity?

Sorry if you all think this is a dumb sh** query - i've never been to Indonesia so am unable to quantify the immediate risk. I've been to Thailand quite a few times so can sort of "judge" where to go/avoid (ok, the risk is potentially there).

Feel free to PM me so that we can take this off-topic.

Rgs
Al.
you are more likely to crash on the way to Sulawesi than to have a problem while there! Sulawesi is the best of the archipelago for many reasons, but one big one is the people. And, at the risk of being indelicate, alot of it has to do with the fact that the island is predominately christian animist.

Pelan Pelan, Thanks for the both recent and former info about Manado. Thank you everyone else too. The comments give me ideas for the area and made me feel like it is about as safe as traveling in my adopted country of Panama.

It looks like I will only have a few days in Manado as I think I am going to go to Kri Island for my first week of Xmas break. So I have written the Lumbalumba folks to see if they will put me up at Xmas time for a few days before I head out to Yogyakarta and Okinawa. The Lumbalumba Resort sounds great. Are there any other resorts in Manado that go to Bunaken that someone can recommend in the same price range if these people do not have a room for me?

Tarzana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom