Manado Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Al!

Your concerns are not unfounded.
I don't think anywhere in Asia is safe [with the exception of China].

It can happen anywhere, anytime, anyplace. The important thing is not to think too much about it and go about our daily lives. Fear will consume you.

I have never been to Manado, and all I know it is a beautiful place, and a great place to dive.

Look at it this way, it is more unsafe and probable that someone could:
1. have an accident on the M4;
2. Landing and Taking off of a commercial airliner;
3. Water in most parts of the world
4. Getting Narcosis

then going to Manado, so go!

Cheers!
Alrick

alc16 once bubbled...
Hi guys/gals....

Apologies to Sinners for hijacking this thread - i'll probably get flamed for asking....
I have some query which you may all laugh/cry about.

The draw of great diving is irresistable however, i've been doing a little research about the risks of the area. The UK goverment has advised against any "non-essential" (I think getting wet is essential!) travel to Indonesia due to threats of a terrorist nature. This also include North Sulewesi. Also, there is the continued ethnic issues within various parts of Indonesia.

Ok, i've been living in London for the last 8 years and have survived 3 bombs (yes, ones that have gone off), plus a countless number of bomb threats. My question is - in all your opinions, how safe is the Manado area for westerners? I really want to go but if there is a high risk threat then I may pass on it. For those who reside in Asia, have you heard of anything else about that region in terms of "terrorist" activity?

Sorry if you all think this is a dumb sh** query - i've never been to Indonesia so am unable to quantify the immediate risk. I've been to Thailand quite a few times so can sort of "judge" where to go/avoid (ok, the risk is potentially there).

Feel free to PM me so that we can take this off-topic.

Rgs
Al.

Sinners....

Thanks for the opinion - very valid points.

I've a friend in Singapore and he (intentional wind up or not) voices an opinion that it's "dangerous" - then again, I do know he's a little naive. Bless his heart!

Anyway, yes, I would really like to go and appreciate your comments. Afterall, how else has it been possible to live in London for all that time!

Have a great time there.
Al.

alc16 once bubbled...
Hi guys/gals....

Apologies to Sinners for hijacking this thread - i'll probably get flamed for asking....
I have some query which you may all laugh/cry about.

The draw of great diving is irresistable however, i've been doing a little research about the risks of the area. The UK goverment has advised against any "non-essential" (I think getting wet is essential!) travel to Indonesia due to threats of a terrorist nature. This also include North Sulewesi. Also, there is the continued ethnic issues within various parts of Indonesia.

Ok, i've been living in London for the last 8 years and have survived 3 bombs (yes, ones that have gone off), plus a countless number of bomb threats. My question is - in all your opinions, how safe is the Manado area for westerners? I really want to go but if there is a high risk threat then I may pass on it. For those who reside in Asia, have you heard of anything else about that region in terms of "terrorist" activity?

Sorry if you all think this is a dumb sh** query - i've never been to Indonesia so am unable to quantify the immediate risk. I've been to Thailand quite a few times so can sort of "judge" where to go/avoid (ok, the risk is potentially there).

Feel free to PM me so that we can take this off-topic.

Rgs
Al.

I went there 2 months ago and as a westener I was concerned. I had no problems while there as I spent the whole week on a boat. The only time I wondered what was happening was when the Indonesian navy visited us one night and the boat crew gave them food and cokes to keep them happy and maybe a bribe to make them leave us alone.

One thing we were advised to do and did was leave the passports on the land and take photocopies with us, as passports are worth quite a bit it seems....

As always now days keep a low profile and don't do things to attract excessive attention.

He sinners,

That's cool....you're be there too?
Where do you mean, Tasik Ria or Gangga?
We will arrive the 17th. We will stop at Singapore and the we will continue our flight with Silk.
Would be fun to meet.

By the way....concerning the risks of going to Sulawesi.
Sulawesi is quite safe, there was and still is a dispute with the nearby other islands but these problems will always stay. not something to worrry about at the moment
The best solution is diving a lot and being on a boat....

cheers,

Yup I leave on the 17th:
Singapore(SIN) Manado(MDC) MI274
17 Sep 2003 17 Sep 2003
09:55 am, Wed 01:25 pm, Wed

my mobile is +65 96912000

Hi guys,

I'm organizing a trip to Manado from Malaysia this coming Christmas for around 5 days or maybe even 8 days. Anyone of you interested?

I've done a rough calculation with some discount rate that i got, for a trip of 5 days 4 nights, it's around MYR2000, full board, inclusive of 10dives. We're targetting 25th - 30th Dec, not 100% finalize on the date.

Let me know or contact me if you are interested.

Jast
jasontanch78@hotmail.com

Hallo Capi,

Hoe vond je Gangga resort?
Kan je mij een indicatie geven van de
kosten voor een weekje Gangga Island Resort.

mvg

Taco

sinners:
Trying to plan a trip to Manado on my own, assuming that I take care of my own ticket, who would one recommend as the dive operator?

I got a suggestion so far for Eco-Divers.

Also, going in September would it be good time to go?

Comments please.

Cheers!

Check out their site.

alc16 - Don't be paranoid, just stay away from the crowded tourist areas.

I was in Bali several times before and after the bombing, saw the Sari club and NEVER wanted to enter it - I have had many other opportunities to see Aussie guys and Danish/Swedish girls getting pissed before, no need to again.

It is these type of tourist areas that will be targetted - Divers in remote areas have little to worry about, just use common sense and never let it dictate your enjoyment.

Oh yeah - stay away from places that serve Arak - that local alcohol is nasty and gets the local guys agitated

Back
Top Bottom