Malaria on Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dandy Don........Roatan Man. I see smoke where the sun don't shine. You're both wrong this time unless I can see some citators. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:LOL

Dandy Don........Roatan Man. I see smoke where the sun don't shine. You're both wrong this time unless I can see some citators.
Hey there, Fishfood! Good to see ya. :crafty:

How can we both be wrong at same time, since there is no record of us ever agreeing? :confused:

There are numerous sites on the web to suppose arguments against using non-organic sunblock and/or insect repellent to lessen the damages done to the reef by our various chemicals, but I did not want to escalate that debate here. As I may recall tho, you may be an expert on the subjects so - fill us in okay?

BTW: You know if it is legal to carry a pocket knife or wear a belt knife there? Any certain limits. I know it's a major problem if caught in Mexico.

Last edited:
BTW: You know if it is legal to carry a pocket knife or wear a belt knife there? Any certain limits. I know it's a major problem if caught in Mexico.

Hmm. I may be the local expert on that subject.

No, there is no law against carrying any such blade. Just as in insect repellant however, you should be very well versed in using it, because the locals certainly are... see what they're carrying around?

Either that or pick your nails with your teeth.

As far as blowing smoke, all I have said is that there is no scientific study. You can't prove a negative. Don't have to.

Well I searched and searched for a study on the effects of deet on marine life and RoatanMan is correct....I couldnt find a single thing and that includes queries on some of the scientific journaling sites that I use for school such as ERIC, ASAP and the American Chemical Society Journals. I at least thought I would get a hit on some company loudly proclaiming that "Our Deet product in NO WAY harms the environment"...which I would have taken immediately as admittance of guilt but I turned up Nada, Zilch, Nothing.

Personally...I have never been bitten by a noseeum or mosquito while under the water. Of course I do wear a full suit and that could be coming into play. Seriously... I generally jumped on the boat in the am and headed out...if I was bitten it was only a few times on the dock before we left. Once away from the dock, the breeze and the distance to shore seemed to keep any bugs at bay. After the days last dive when it was time to settle down in a hammock and read some engrossing poetry.. (code for hurry to CoCo LoCo for rum specials and Salva Vida) I would apply 100% Deet to my lower legs and rub it in...using what was left on my hands for my arms etc. By the time I came home in the evening from a long, hard night of prose, i had probably sweated 95% of it off, so I doubt there was much left on me when I hit the water in the mornings anyway. After a few days I very seldom used it at all, except on very bad noseeum evenings. I did see some people who looked absolutely TORE up from bug bites but they just never were anything but a minor annoyance to me.
Im pretty sure that if a "GREEN" alternative is created that works as well as deet, we will all gladly use it. I am willing to listen to suggestions for alternatives, though I will pack my 100% just in case...

Last edited:
AHA!...This is a perfect excuse to coincide with my return to Utila this Summer for my DMT. I will expose myself to noseeums on a daily basis while using a different repellant each for several days under the same type of conditions. Its not near scientific but its a start and it sounds legit and maybe that will help me explain leaving for Utila for another month *again* to my wife.
Who by the way is now certified OW and resembles Scooby Doo trying to scuba dive, needless to say...the water is not her happy place..*sigh*

Well I searched and searched for a study on the effects of deet on marine life and couldnt find a single thing and that includes queries on some of the scientific journaling sites that I use for school such as ERIC, ASAP and the American Chemical Society Journals. I at least thought I would get a hit on some company loudly proclaiming that "Our Deet product in NO WAY harms the environment...which I would have taken immediately as admittance of guilt
Nope, it seems that my memory fooled me again. :silly: In my searches I find some claims that sunscreen can damage corals, but not Deet. I guess I got the two synthetics commonly applied by tourists confused. My bad; sorry about the goof.

Hell, I am glad I can feel good about using Deet now. I've only been to FIBR twice and Utila once, but I have had some experiences with those blood suckers that were not fun - and kept Deet spray in my room and my dive locker both so I could spray every time I left either. Even in daylight skeeters can hide in shaded areas and come out biting when disturbed.

FIBR used to have a lot of bats that patrolled the area well, even zooming around the top of the outdoor lunch pavilion during the meal. Hope they still do, as they are voracious consumers of the insects with no apparent problems as long as you never, ever touch one you might find on the ground (report and avoid always!) and don't sit under them when they stop to roost when it could get messy.

On Utila, I stayed at a resort built on a sandbar between the ocean and a lagoon and there I sprayed diligently but still got ate up by the sand bugs. I wonder if a layer of mineral oil on my legs would help prevent those as Roatan gets them as well at times.

As far as Malaria prophylactics, I will begin my meds a week or two before my February visit, during, and continue for the four weeks after. Remembering after is the hard part but I have my email system send me reminders weekly for the period. I have heard of some feeling ill from chloroquine but I never have, perhaps because I always take it on a full stomach, in the evening? If one has problems, I suppose it might be tempting to discontinue - depending. Chloroquine Side Effects | Drugs.com

For sun protection, FIBR has good shade on their boats so I find that a floppy, canvas hat protects my head and ears well - but I am 6th generation Texan with dark complexion. Fair skinned folks may want to wear more - loose fitting, long sleeves and pants. :crafty:

FIBR used to have a lot of bats that patrolled the area well, even zooming around the top of the outdoor lunch pavilion during the meal. Hope they still do, as they are voracious consumers of the insects with no apparent problems
And while I am sure there must be insect eating bats as well, a large percentage and certainly the majority I have encountered are fruit bats that will cause all kinds of problems when trying to keep a birdfeeder full they seem to do little if any swarming around insect areas.

march2009%20(72).jpg

Hehe yeah there are many kinds of bats with a variety of diets. I'm guessing that the ones I saw were insectivores but I could dang sure be wrong again on that. Nice pic. :thumb:

We have been to Roatan two times and will be there in December. We visit a medical doctor who specializes in tropical medicine each time Roatan shows up on the "World Malaria Map" the prescription for Cholorquinen costs me $17.00 Canadian 1 pill before you leave, 1 pill while you are there, 1 pill for 4 weeks upon return. Given the costs and the relative ease of use why would you not take the "safe route"

Because in the U.S., that CAD$17 pill is probably US$100. Add in a doctor's office visit and it's not so cheap anymore. Ya gotta love our health "care" system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom