Malaria on Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, thanks everyone. I will talk to a doctor.

Hi Maggy -
Yes, malaria is on Roatan. So is dengue fever, a virus carried by mosquitoes that bite during the daytime. However, your chances of getting bitten by a carrier of either is slim. That being said, you are the only one who can decide if you want to take the preventative meds. I'm a full time resident and I've never taken it. Also, I've never had either of these. But I know a bunch of people who have had one, the other and both. Someone I was talking with last week had both at the same time :depressed: I keep chloroquine in my cabinet just in case someone needs it.

Sometimes the side effects of taking the various kinds of malaria preventative are worse than getting the disease. You may want to protect yourself with some deet or natural mosquito repellent if you see mosquitoes around.

I'm sure you and your hubby will have a fantastic time in Roatan.

Hi Maggy -
Yes, malaria is on Roatan. So is dengue fever, a virus carried by mosquitoes that bite during the daytime. However, your chances of getting bitten by a carrier of either is slim. That being said, you are the only one who can decide if you want to take the preventative meds. I'm a full time resident and I've never taken it. Also, I've never had either of these. But I know a bunch of people who have had one, the other and both. Someone I was talking with last week had both at the same time :depressed: I keep chloroquine in my cabinet just in case someone needs it.

Sometimes the side effects of taking the various kinds of malaria preventative are worse than getting the disease. You may want to protect yourself with some deet or natural mosquito repellent if you see mosquitoes around.

I'm sure you and your hubby will have a fantastic time in Roatan.

Thank you, I hope so too. I know about dengue fever, that exists in about every tropical place and of course we'll bring mosquito repellant. I will try to get hold of a doctor soon, so I at least can have a serious discussion about the options. Never eaten these before, even if I travelled to countries like Thailand, so I don't know how I will react to any side effect.

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the answers.

Best wishes from a dark and cold Sweden. November is not the nicest month here.

Take your anti-malarial meds, and apply your mosquito repellent: there is no vaccine nor prophylaxis medication for Dengue Fever (yet).

I contracted Dengue Fever in Papua New Guinea in 2001, and spent the remaining week of that vacation in a hospital in Koror (Palau) under the care of a US Navy Corpsman. It's like having the Influenza virus times 10-to-the-tenth power --extreme debilitating fever, chills, weakness and joint pain (which is why it's also called "breakbone fever"). Because of this prior infection, I am now at increased risk for developing Dengue Shock Syndrome should I ever catch it again. . .

Haha, sometimes I feel like screaming "Search First!" too, but we always have room for another discussion.
OK, I thought that maybe recommendations change over time, but I'll do a search.
Some suggest that they have. I have seen arguments here on SB that chloroquine is no longer as effective against malaria, as well as those that it's not enough of a risk on Roatan - depending on where you go. Still, chloroquine is what I take for Central America and Mexican mainland trips. I have talked with some who said they felt ill taking it and stopped, but I've never had a problem with it - so I guess I'll stick with it.
Thank you Snapphead. I will also read our recommendations (the Swedish health recommendations), but Honduras might not be the biggest travel destination for us, so the information might not be too detailed.

OK, seems like we have to force ourselves into the vaccination agencies, that are full of people queing up for the flu shot. Unless you can get a prescription over the phone.
Last time I got a prescription, I went to my personal physician who is originally from Mexico - but not a part that deals with malaria, so I showed him our CDC suggestions on my laptop and he agreed to the chloroquine. It's not a shot tho; just a pill to take every week starting a week or two before you leave, continuing thru the trip, and four weeks beyond. Remembering for four weeks after is the hard part so I set up a reminder on my computer that emails me weekly for the period. I think the effect is to have it in your blood stream when the malaria eggs inserted by a mosquito try to hatch.

Our CDC has a lot of suggestions and discussions about preparation for Roatan, but since I live in Texas - adding the malaria preventative med is the only change I make really. You can review these here but keep in mind that some apply to mainland travel and really do not apply to your trip...
Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health
OK, thanks everyone. I will talk to a doctor.
Unless it is a doctor familar with Central America travel, you just might want to print out some info to take with you. I have no idea what your local medical resources are like.

Have a great trip. :pilot:

I lived on Roatan and Utila for about four years, and never took anti malarials. It is fairly uncommon there, and the type they do have is not very serious, easily cured with older medications like chloroquin, and not chronic like the types in africa (though I heard of one case of a more serious, drug resistant strain on the east end of the island, where malaria is more common than on the west end). In my whole time in West End, I dont think I ever heard of a single case of any type of malaria in the dive community there, and none of the expats take antimalarials. Also, the anti malarials you take are the same drugs they will give you if you do happen to contract it. They often cause nightmares or unpleasant strange dreams, and arent all that good for your liver to boot. Given all that, I personally would not take them unless I was actually sick. Dengue is also present, though uncommon, but I actually caught this, it is horrible. I didnt know it was possible to be in that much pain and not die. No vaccine, and no cure, you just have to ride it out. And once youve had it, a second bout can be fatal. BRING LOTS OF MOSQUITO REPELLANT AND USE IT! It will cost you an arm and a leg if you buy it there.

BTW, doctors here will always suggest antimalarials, even though its pretty unnecessary.

Thanks for your input gr8ful, I will take that under consideration. Also your reply DandyDon.

Dengue fever have always scared me, so I'll try to find lots of mosquito repellant and bring it (and use it of course). It's not that easy to find now when it's winter here, but I think the pharmacy can get it for you if you ask in time.

I don't think any of us are qaulified to give medical advice here, but my experience with Chloroquine has been no problems at all. Caution: I once took doxycycline on a trip to Hawaii and boy did I sunburn! Read those cautions on the various drugs yourself...!
Thanks for your input gr8ful, I will take that under consideration. Also your reply DandyDon.

Dengue fever have always scared me, so I'll try to find lots of mosquito repellant and bring it (and use it of course). It's not that easy to find now when it's winter here, but I think the pharmacy can get it for you if you ask in time.
The Double Edged Sword: I used to spray well with Deet before leaving the room, morning, noon, evening, etc - but then learned that wearing Deet into the water kills coral, and it doesn't take much! So I quit using Deet until after diving for the day. You can still spray your clothes with Deet I suppose.

I don't know about your skeeters up in Norway, but here in Texas we have them at least six months a year. The worse exposures are early morning, evenings, especially dusk it seems - or anytime you walk thru vegetation.

Do read our CDC cautions on vacinations: Tetanus up to date, Hep-A, etc. - vaccinations generally suggested to all in Texas for normal lifestyles.

- but then learned that wearing Deet into the water kills coral, and it doesn't take much!

But no-one has ever presented any sort of proof... a study, scientific or anecdotal... and there have been exhaustive searches.

Back
Top Bottom