Malapascua or Moalboal in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All

I have some prospective dates now for diving in PI, I have about 8 Nights available late Jan 2011. I would really like to maximise my time to see Thresher Sharks and hear that Malapuasca is the place for them. But are they around at that time of year? What's the diving there like overall? I have already been to Sipadan, Bali, Maldives, Great Barrier Reef and I want to really dive the best site with healthy corals, pelagics and macro critters.

Otherwise should I consider Moalboal?

Any valuable info appreciated.

Also what's the best way to get from KL-Cebu? I have seen Cebu Pacific. Anyone care to offer other suggestions?

Thank you

Gee, in 8 nights it could be feasible to do both :
arrival take a cab to Maya (4hrs) and a bangka (1hr) to Malapascua, you're diving 3 days in malapascua for the treshers and mantas, (the coral is not good AT ALL on Monad schoal) on the 4the night you transfer from Malapascua to Moalboal (7hrs by car) you dive 3 days on Pescador GREAT coral, perhsp the sardine run is still there and the threshers on top, morning after the 8th night, you take a cab to Mactan airport (3hrs) to get your flight back.

You should do it this way because if ever there is a problem crossing the open sea in Malapascua on your day flying, you're screwed!

can't you rather get a flight to Singapore? it would be easier to get to Cebu as Malaysia seems to have closed their flights KL-Cebu.

Hi Gee,

Malapascua has the reputation for the Threshers, and it is undoubtedly deserved as the premiere viewing site in the world. True, the coral in certain parts of Monad shoal is not fantastic - but trust me, you won't be looking at the coral when a 10ft shark is cruising beside you <5m away :) The sharks are around everyday, although of course some days they are more shy than others.

Malapascua has multiple other opportunities for great diving which are rarely talked about. Gato Island is a world class dive site with everything from whitetip reef sharks and rays, to pygmy seahorses, spanish dancers and hairy frog fish. Our island sites are then also home to blue ring octo, urangutan crabs, ghost pipefish, decorator crab and so much more. So if you don't just focus on the sharks there's plenty of other great diving. You wont see masses of schooling fish, but the diving IS good.

The option to do both Malapascua and Moalboal is certainly a good one. I imagine Carl or one of the others from Moalboal will chime in with whether the Sardine run is still happening - that certainly could be worth a look.

I'm not sure of the flight options but there are certainly some direct flights out there.

HTH,

Matt.

Hey guy,

Actually looks like 7 nights rather than 8 as I lose a night in transit from Perth. I could stretch another night if I can be convinced of the 'Sardine Run ' in Moalboal as basically a 7 hour drive will mean 1 day less of diving!!! Is January the season for the Sardine Run? Also when are the Threshers about.

I havent looked at options other than KL at this stage. Will look at Singapore options. But seems more expensive that way. I wasnt aware that the KL to Cebu flights are not on anymore? I was on the Cebu Pacific site and there were online bookings avail for Jan 2011?

What Im not sure about is the weather in late Jan and whether it is good for diving then as Ive never done PI yet.

Thanks and keep the advice coming.

Gee

gee... they dont have directs flights to cebu from malaysia here.

you could always do the KL - Manila - Cebu flight

With regards to the sardines you can never predict if they would stick around till january 2011.. But if there still there you definitely have to go.. went down there twice already this month..

You could do Cebu - Malaspacua ( dive ) - Cebu ( Dive ) - Moalboal ( Dive ) - Cebu ( fly out)

theres a few sites in mactan area that might interest you. besides you can past by cebu on the way to moalboal..

To maximize your dives.. and to see what cebu has to offer...

Yes sorry I did mean indirect flights via Manila.

I still cant believe the cost for transfer from Cebu to Malapuasca is more than the flight from Manila! US $180 by taxi and boat! Will that mean Malapuasca to Moalboal is going to cost me twice to transfer?! Then again more money coming back from Moalboal to Cebu?

Is this correct or am I missing something here. :confused: When I went to Sipadan the resort managed return coach transfers from Tawau then boat to Mabul. I didnt have to pay extra.

there is a cheaper option you could always ride the public bus or Find a taxi from cebu willing to take you to Maya ( malapascua port ) and ride the public boat to malapascua.. im sure the expense would be a lot cheaper.

Yes sorry I did mean indirect flights via Manila.

I still cant believe the cost for transfer from Cebu to Malapuasca is more than the flight from Manila! US $180 by taxi and boat! Will that mean Malapuasca to Moalboal is going to cost me twice to transfer?! Then again more money coming back from Moalboal to Cebu?

Is this correct or am I missing something here. :confused: When I went to Sipadan the resort managed return coach transfers from Tawau then boat to Mabul. I didnt have to pay extra.

I hope the $180 was round trip.

The going rate for a taxi from Cebu to Maya (north town on Cebu Island) is 2500 php (one way). You may be able to negotiate something less as this is pretty much the meter rate to get there doubled. A fast driver can get you there in about 3 hours. The banka fare is 45-50 php (sorry can't quite remember exactly). The ferries leave on a semi irregular schedule depending on the number of passengers. It is best to arrive at Maya before noon. I have had to wait as long as 1-1.5 hours for the ferry to leave for Malapascua. Depending on your timing there is some accomodation in Maya for travelers. The ferry boat crew will try to talk you into a "special" trip for 500 php and this will fall over time as they try to get even a little money out of you. If you do pay the special the boat will still load more passengers and may not leave any sooner if you hadn't ponied up the extra cash. If you have heavy bags you don't want to drop in the water as you walk across the narrow wood planks to the banka - 20 php each to the porters to board and usually another 20 php on Malapascua to carry to lodging or dive shop if it isn't too far. The bus (Cerres - yellow, red and white) from Maya to Cebu City is 160 php but it can be a really long trip in the afternoon as traffic is heavy and slow getting into the city. It has taken anywhere from 4.5-5.5 hours. I hear the bus is a little quicker from Cebu City to Maya and would assume the same fare leaving as early as 5:30am from the Cebu north bus terminal. If you are running late on the bus into Cebu, get off early and hire a taxi to take you to the airport.

Agreed $180 is excessive for one way. Our Round trip rate for private car AND private boat is P8500 - or about $190.

The other option not mentioned above is the V-hire AC minibus. They leave from the Makro car park just near the North bus terminal and you just pay for your seat - pay for 2 if you have luggage. I think they run until about 12nn. Roughly P180 for a seat.

$180 is actually return, yes close to $190 quoted by Matt - still a high rate IMHO. So am shuddering to think how much it will be if I have to take a transfer to Moalboal from Malapascua then back to Cebu! So the taxi fare to Maya is 2500 PS. That's $57 USD! I understand there are local transfer options but I will be first time there and generally I dont want to get lost or have the hassle of having to take more than half a day to reach Malapascua from Cebu Airport in transit time spent waiting (on a tight schedule).

Everywhere Ive been to there's been a courtesy pick up service from Airport to resort. This is Phillipines correct? Where things should be a little cheaper? Ive even booked for Lembeh and Bunaken next May. The only extra charge for a rep to pickup from Manado airport is aout $25-30 one way.

The minibus option sounds good but how far is the North bus terminal from Cebu Airport?

And what is the most comfortable boat route from Maya - Malapascua without having to wait ages in transit?

Thanks for all the advice, keep them coming. I need some workable transport alternatives that's going to be reasonably affordable for me to get to Malapascua.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom