Malapascua or Moalboal in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry guys! Yep, the sardines are still here in the millions and the Threshers still busy catching them :)

For transport to Moalboal it's relatively easy, however, we do not offer a courtesy pick up service or we will be forced to hike our dive prices considerably. Please bear in mind that a courtesy pick is always built into a package price wherever you book in the world...it's just not itemised but you still pay one way or another.

For transfer from Cebu to Moalboal it is $60 each way in our air-con transporter but if you are travelling on a budget there are several other options:

1 - Taxi - approx 2500 pesos each way
2 - Bus - 120 pesos each way (from Cebu Central Bus Station)
3 - Aircon V-hire - 120 pesos per seat each way (if you have equipment you will require more than one seat)

Hope this helps!

Regards from sunny Moalboal :)

Carl

Gee, u are indeed stalking me!
The drive from Cebu to Maya (Malapascua) is 4hrs! We took the public transport both times we went to Malapascua, found that the early morning Cebu to Maya trip was more bearable than the return trip... Cebu Pac flight from Sg will reach Cebu 4+am... However, that was when we had less gear & 2 years have gone by, bones are getting old(er) now... :rofl3:
Sipadan was nice (with the barracudas, jacks & white-tips, gray reefs) but we much prefer Malapascua, it is a place we would dive again! Of course there are nicer resorts at Mabul n Kapalai etc... Diving in Malapascua is usually in small groups, lots of macro opportunities & of course thresher sharks. For our trip early Dec 08, we had our wonderful encounter on our 5th (& last) morning there & only glimpses on prev mornings... Btw, no use for your strobes at Monad...
trip report CaT's Dive Sites: December, 2008

Im going to have to change my name to scuba-stalker! :rofl3:

Im torn between spending more time in Malapascua rather than Moalboal (sigh) unless someone can convince me that I dont have to spend more than $200 in return trips!

It looks like at least $150 USD return from MP to Cebu and $100 return from MB to Cebu!!!

My goal is to see the Threshers, if in January the Threshers are in Moalboal I will consider that. If they are not likely then its Malapascua. Moalboal trip another time. I would rather spend more time -ie 7 nights straight diving then having to lose a day due to tansfer from MP to MB. and split it 4 nights and 3 nights.

So anyone care to elaborate what the chances of Threshers in MP in late Jan? Chances of sighting over 6 days diving?

Im torn between spending more time in Malapascua rather than Moalboal (sigh) unless someone can convince me that I dont have to spend more than $200 in return trips!

It looks like at least $150 USD return from MP to Cebu and $100 return from MB to Cebu!!!

My goal is to see the Threshers, if in January the Threshers are in Moalboal I will consider that. If they are not likely then its Malapascua. Moalboal trip another time. I would rather spend more time -ie 7 nights straight diving then having to lose a day due to tansfer from MP to MB. and split it 4 nights and 3 nights.

So anyone care to elaborate what the chances of Threshers in MP in late Jan? Chances of sighting over 6 days diving?

And yes! I know of the no strobe rule, but I will be able to shoot manual and manipulate low light! :shocked2: ...hopefully :crafty:

Sorry for eavesdropping :
Sipadan was nice (with the barracudas, jacks & white-tips, gray reefs) but we much prefer Malapascua, it is a place we would dive again! Of course there are nicer resorts at Mabul n Kapalai etc... Diving in Malapascua is usually in small groups, lots of macro opportunities & of course thresher sharks
uuh... wot? :confused: It's the first time I read someone prefering Malapascua to Sipadan, my favorite destination.

Not saying I don't like Malapascua, but maybe you should give Sipadan/mabul/Kapalai combo another chance diving with one of the pioneer resorts like Borneo Divers... for me that's really a step higher than the rest (went there 4 times and will be back despite the price :cool2:, although given the number of dives you can do in one day, the comfy bungalows and the outstanding dive service, the all inclusive price is not that expensive if you are a couple of hardcore divers).

Sipadan is indeed special, the Barracuda School is a mystical experience for divers, like the Mola Molas of Nusa Penida and Manta Schools/ Whale Sharks of Maldives.

Im also open to see what Malapascua can offer for this travelling mystic. Thresher sharks just could be it.

Sorry but traveling on your own and on a tight timeline can be expensive. Most dive shops on Malapascua will arrange transport for you that will get you to the island in the shortest amount of time. I like diving with Thresher Shark Divers. Problem is that for the same price they will transport from 6-8 divers and gear. I have been lucky enough to share rides with other divers headed in the same direction as I but not always. I have been to Malapascua many times and really enjoy it but it is more for the macro critter fans. The activity of the threshers has been very high for the last 2 years - I usually visit in May and November. You can also see mantas and devil rays at the same dive site as the threshers except usually on an early afternoon dive. I have seen a good size manta move the sharks off the site on a morning dive too.

You just happened to pick a couple of the more expensive land transport destinations. Oh yeah, there is only one boat route from Maya to Malapascua and you either take the public ferry, dive shop boat or swim.;-) Oh, sometimes the ferry from Leyte to Maya will stop at Malapascua if there are enough passengers wishing to do so but you don't want to go there...

In my experience here, if you do 6 days of diving on Monad you have a very high chance of seeing them at any time of year.

if you do 6 days of diving on Monad
Well... you'd really have to see the threshers to do 6 days diving only on Monad... :shocked2:
... I'd say the usual fare is diving 3 times in Monad and it's either a hit or miss, and when it's a miss, you certainly woudln't remember Monad for its colors. (understatement :eyebrow: )

Sorry for eavesdropping :

uuh... wot? :confused: It's the first time I read someone prefering Malapascua to Sipadan, my favorite destination.

Not saying I don't like Malapascua, but maybe you should give Sipadan/mabul/Kapalai combo another chance diving with one of the pioneer resorts like Borneo Divers... for me that's really a step higher than the rest (went there 4 times and will be back despite the price :cool2:, although given the number of dives you can do in one day, the comfy bungalows and the outstanding dive service, the all inclusive price is not that expensive if you are a couple of hardcore divers).

Heehee, guess it is personal preference. It is like which neighbour I prefer & between the 2 closest neighbours, my preferred is Indon... :blinking: Well, do have a couple of friends did went to Kapalai & they didn't gave rave reviews abt it. Will revisit Sipadan/Mabul - someday...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom