Malapascua Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman:
Personally I recommend Exotic. As for that complaint by the earlier post, I don't see that request by Exotic being that unreasonable (I'm surprised they'd back down). I have come across a number of dive resorts that stipulate that. Makes sense to me - if you don't dive with them you are taking up a precious room that could be used by another diver (more precious $$'s for the resort). These are small DIVE Resorts and rooms are a precious commodity, not the Hilton or Hyatt... If you don't want to use their dive services, then stay somewhere else. Exotic is the only dedicated dive resort on Malapascua where you have the luxury of not having to lug your gear around or walking too far to get to your room between dives.

disclaimer: I don't work for Exotic or get compensated by them. Just a happy customer.

edit: Oh as for slow/ no email responses from TSD, you might want to give them a ring. The internet connection on the island is spotty and not always available 24hrs...

Well, almost all of their A/C rooms were vacant. And if had an issue with my not diving with them, they should have told me when I booked the room. That island is full of $10 a night rooms and I was paying them around $50/room for two rooms. I'm also the only diver in the group. So you either shut up or put up...not accept the room reservation and then complain later.

Any place you stay in that roadless island, you won't have to lug your gear as someone will do it for you. So the all in one benefit is a moot point.

The issues is that you dive with the dive shop where you are most satisfied.

jbb:
Sorry to hear about difficulties reaching TSD. I've gotten a couple of email responses from them in just the last 24 hours as I plan my trip to visit them again (#6) in November. Double check the email address? There are a number of places to stay on Malapascua and this time of year it should be easy to find accommodation to your tast or $. Do keep in mind speed of service is variable at the local restaurants. Just ask for recommendations - cold beer always help the wait.

That's an excellent list of Philippine dive destination you have. I've been to all of them and I will add Cabilao Island to the list on this upcoming trip. Keep in mind the time of year for Tubbataha is March - May only. I would also recommend staying on Apo Island itself (Liberty Lodge - not for everyone but it was perfect for me) for a few days if you really want to get a lot of diving in (5-15 minute boat ride to any site around the island).

Sounds like Puerto Galera... everything there was close to the dive sites as well. Are you saying that i can negotiate a better deal than the first offer? Is it a haggling process. If so where do you stop. It's nice to get a good deal, but pushing to hard can cause hurt feelings. I guess it's always finding that balance:)

Thanks! I put a lot of time and research into this list so it means a lot coming from someone who has spent a lot of time there.

we just arrived from Malapascua. stayed at Hippocampus for the first night (food was bad) because of the 24-hr electricity... transferred to Bantigue Cove (a more private and better serviced resort) the next two nights and loved the service and the place...

we dove with Naz (a filipino dive guide that is a very good spotter) of Bantigue Cove Dive Resort... service is good at a very reasonable price and you get to choose which dive site to dive at your convenience.

btw, did the monad shoal dive (went into deco even- 65 mins) but didn't see the thresher sharks too (bahhhh.....). gato island is cool... lots of cool stuff....!

btw, pak... did you see the mandarin fish mating? :D

Just additional info regarding Nas and Bantique Cove Divers - He picked us up from whichever resort we stayed at, at the time requested, stowed and cleaned our gear, and was very happy to do LONG dives. Shortest dive was 1hr 4 mins, and the he had no problem going into Deco for the thresher shark dives - just in case they made a late appearance.. Dives were 1100 PHP per dive (all inclusive)- .Mobile No.
+639176259826 or +639176123426.

As Maggie said, great spotter, and only too happy to take you to your desired location. Maggie and I were also the only divers, which was very nice....

Z...

Thanks to everyone for all the great information :) Seems like everyone has their favorites. Looks like Malapascua is a really good choice and that I'm going to have a great time diving there no matter who I eventually choose :14:

Sounds like Puerto Galera... everything there was close to the dive sites as well. Are you saying that i can negotiate a better deal than the first offer? Is it a haggling process. If so where do you stop. It's nice to get a good deal, but pushing to hard can cause hurt feelings. I guess it's always finding that balance:)QUOTE]

Bill,

Not sure which site area you are referring to. Malapascua has numerous places to stay just depending on how long you want electricity for, air conditioning, speed of service, cost of stay and proximity to dive shop. On Malapascua I have usually stayed at the Kuan Ba (elec. 5pm to 7am, fan room) I find I can charge my camera and flash batteries in that given time, I don't spend much time in my room during the day other than to clean up or take a nap. Since TSD has a new shop further from the Kuan Ba I will negotiate when I get there. Blue Water is right next door but will probably be more expensive.

Negotiating in the Philippines - typically locals will come down to their negotiated price much quicker than say Thailand or Vietnam where it's more of a process. Make sure to be pleasant about the whole thing and yes, you are at a disadvantage being a tourist. Pretend you're German (known to be hard bargainers wherever they go).:D

As for diving with guides from who knows where...
Are they certified?
Do they have a computer?
Where do they fill the tanks?
What condition are the tank's insides?
What kind of compressor are they using?
I will not go into deco on my computer if I can help it on a recreational dive. I have only done it a couple of times and that's because of inattention and poor planning (i.e. stupid).
I would prefer one of the reputable shops on the island which would be TSD, Sea Explorers or Exotic.

Apo Island
Libery lodge is quite, electricity from 6pm - 9pm (still had enough time to charge my batteries but then I have multiples for camera and flash), so no fan at night, no air conditioning, water is from a cistern from which you use a pail to wash, bathe, flush toilet, etc. There is a descent variety of food to choose from like hamburger, pizza, eggs, rice of course and the fish catch of the day. So if you need a hot shower, tv, internet, party till 11-12pm and beyond, etc. this would not be the place to stay.

I've made two trips there and thought it was great. I don't mind mutiple dives at the same site even 3 days in a row especially now that I have a camera. There is always something new. Highly recommend the night dives in front of the lodge, I think I did 4 or 5 with different guides - fantastic. First place I've seen Ribbon Eels at.

well, what is it they say? you always pay extra for the brand name. *lol* anyway, we are quite happy with our DM and yes, it always boils down to what you are comfortable with (e.g. go with the popular recommendations or make your own discovery). we, of course, checked him out first- as sane people ought to normally do.

as for the accommodation, Jason is right. it really depends on whether or not you want a 24-hr electricity in your room. hippocampus has 24-hr electricity at a much cheaper price than the ones who don't but service is a little off (that was why we transferred to bantigue with its 5pm-7am power supply sched).

We? .....they take large groups?

uhmnn.. two people, babyD?

we= me + another one

they have a limit of the number of divers per DM/guide. as any reasonable dive shop does.

quick hjack: how's the construction of your resort, btw?

Resort is in full preparation! We are underway.....the tons of paperwork to make it happen are submitted, construction plans are in review, IEE is partially complete, and on and on. We are looking to start by OCT 08.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom