Malapascua Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman:
Who would you recommend:

Exotic Island Dive Resort

- or -

Thresher Shark Divers.

HELP!! too many choices ...

TNX

Rick.

I stayed at Exotic on my first trip...won't stay there again. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place, but they don't like it if you stay there and dive somewhere else. One of the instructor...forgot her name...the one from Liverpool, actually talked to me about it. I offered to move, and she backed off.

The second time, I stayed at Cocobana and dived with Thresher Divers. I'm really happy with Thresher and will dive with them again next year.

Pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/gummyb/malapascua

wicked_innit:
thanks for the valuable info about mala. We tried to get more info from TSD (as an alternative to Sogod Bay) but they were slow to respond. Not only that ,they accused my cousin who was there of us "fishing" for prices...jeez. A huge misunderstanding on their part but we just felt frustrated and went with SB. Glad to report that was awesome!

exotic here we come!

I'm having the same experience. I emailed them on Sunday and now it's Friday (in Japan) and still no answer. I may stop by their shop while I'm in Malapascua and let them know how they lost my business. It's rapidly reaching a point where they will have to work for it if they want it. I emailed Exotic this morning.... let's see if they're any better. I've pretty much decided on Malapascua for this trip.

I live in Japan, it's only an hour difference and a $500 dollar plane ride to Manila. This is my second trip to the Philippines. I went to Puerto Galera in May. I expect to make at least two-three more before I transfer in February 09. Sogod Bay, Apo Island, Dumaugete, Coron, and Tubbataha are on my list for future trips.

Gussy:
I stayed at Exotic on my first trip...won't stay there again. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place, but they don't like it if you stay there and dive somewhere else. One of the instructor...forgot her name...the one from Liverpool, actually talked to me about it. I offered to move, and she backed off.

The second time, I stayed at Cocobana and dived with Thresher Divers. I'm really happy with Thresher and will dive with them again next year.

Pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/gummyb/malapascua

Nice to hear another perspective :) Great pictures to by the way :14: I was also looking at diving with Thresher Shark Divers and staying at the Cocobana. I'm just frustrated now at their lack of response. Someone posted on another thread some very negative things about Exotic although it seems most people like them. I've seen some negatives on TSD also. Would you mind sharing your experience. I really have to make a final decision this week. I'm planning on heading to the Philippines October 24th. Thanks!

bill22:
I'm having the same experience. I emailed them on Sunday and now it's Friday (in Japan) and still no answer. I may stop by their shop while I'm in Malapascua and let them know how they lost my business. It's rapidly reaching a point where they will have to work for it if they want it. I emailed Exotic this morning.... let's see if they're any better. I've pretty much decided on Malapascua for this trip.

I live in Japan, it's only an hour difference and a $500 dollar plane ride to Manila. This is my second trip to the Philippines. I went to Puerto Galera in May. I expect to make at least two-three more before I transfer in February 09. Sogod Bay, Apo Island, Dumaugete, Coron, and Tubbataha are on my list for future trips.

Sorry to hear about difficulties reaching TSD. I've gotten a couple of email responses from them in just the last 24 hours as I plan my trip to visit them again (#6) in November. Double check the email address? There are a number of places to stay on Malapascua and this time of year it should be easy to find accommodation to your tast or $. Do keep in mind speed of service is variable at the local restaurants. Just ask for recommendations - cold beer always help the wait.

That's an excellent list of Philippine dive destination you have. I've been to all of them and I will add Cabilao Island to the list on this upcoming trip. Keep in mind the time of year for Tubbataha is March - May only. I would also recommend staying on Apo Island itself (Liberty Lodge - not for everyone but it was perfect for me) for a few days if you really want to get a lot of diving in (5-15 minute boat ride to any site around the island).

bill22:
Nice to hear another perspective :) Great pictures to by the way :14: I was also looking at diving with Thresher Shark Divers and staying at the Cocobana. I'm just frustrated now at their lack of response. Someone posted on another thread some very negative things about Exotic although it seems most people like them. I've seen some negatives on TSD also. Would you mind sharing your experience. I really have to make a final decision this week. I'm planning on heading to the Philippines October 24th. Thanks!

Personally I recommend Exotic. As for that complaint by the earlier post, I don't see that request by Exotic being that unreasonable (I'm surprised they'd back down). I have come across a number of dive resorts that stipulate that. Makes sense to me - if you don't dive with them you are taking up a precious room that could be used by another diver (more precious $$'s for the resort). These are small DIVE Resorts and rooms are a precious commodity, not the Hilton or Hyatt... If you don't want to use their dive services, then stay somewhere else. Exotic is the only dedicated dive resort on Malapascua where you have the luxury of not having to lug your gear around or walking too far to get to your room between dives.

disclaimer: I don't work for Exotic or get compensated by them. Just a happy customer.

edit: Oh as for slow/ no email responses from TSD, you might want to give them a ring. The internet connection on the island is spotty and not always available 24hrs...

it posted twice for some reason???

pakman:
Personally I recommend Exotic. As for that complaint by the earlier post, I don't see that request by Exotic being that unreasonable (I'm surprised they'd back down). I have come across a number of dive resorts that stipulate that. Makes sense to me - if you don't dive with them you are taking up a precious room that could be used by another diver (more precious $$'s for the resort). These are small DIVE Resorts and rooms are a precious commodity, not the Hilton or Hyatt... If you don't want to use their dive services, then stay somewhere else. Exotic is the only dedicated dive resort on Malapascua where you have the luxury of not having to lug your gear around or walking too far to get to your room between dives.

disclaimer: I don't work for Exotic or get compensated by them. Just a happy customer.

edit: Oh as for slow/ no email responses from TSD, you might want to give them a ring. The internet connection on the island is spotty and not always available 24hrs...

Yes, that is understandable. I was actually thinking of what someone else wrote in another thread. It's a moot point anyway since they were not able to accomodate me with the level of room I wanted during the period I'm going to be there. I'll keep them in mind for a future trip.

I did get a response from TSD this morning. They apologized and offered me a very good package. They can set me up in a cottage at Blue Water right next door to the dive shop. I dropped them another email with a few more questions, but looks like I will go with them. They also have gotten high marks from people who have dived with them. Thanks for the response :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom