Major Update May 10, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tapatalk appears to be working for others - you might try Howarde's suggestions also - it worked for someone else in the thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/382043-tapatalk.html#post5891892

I can't support issues directly with Tapatalk, as it's an app, and not part of ScubaBoard at all. I have the module installed and up to date, and honestly... that's all I can do. Perhaps you should check the status of your app? Make sure you have the latest version of the app.

Another possibility is...You may have to remove SB from your favorites, and then RE-LOG in to ScubaBoard on taptalk to correct your issues.

I, for one, am sure as h**l not going to change my operating system just because it doesn't agree with one forum! I belong to and particitpate on over a dozen forums with no speed problems at all, and this one is far slower all of a sudden after the change. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't one of my favorite forums!

The SB changeover has been very difficult here, to the point where I feared SB would no longer be accessible enough to use. The most vexing concern was being able to get only two threads at a time to display for New Posts. Somewhere, I saw a comment that many users' technical problems had been resolved by updating their Internet Explorer.

I've been running IE 7 since I've had this machine. In answer to the question posed of why would someone not update their browser, the answer is: Newer isn't always better, and sometimes introduces new problems. Therefore, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've done fine with IE 7 until this SB update. I grudgingly updated to IE 8 this evening (I'm running XP, which can't support IE 9), and suddenly, I have SB back! New posts display like they're supposed to and suddenly, the rest of the site is also displaying in ways that make more sense.

For others who may be clinging to IE 7 for the reasons I did, I'll offer that the new features don't seem so bad, and it doesn't look like it will be all that hard to get used to. Switching to IE 8 seems (at least so far) to have fixed all of my problems with the new SB. I'm looking forward to catching up since I've been more or less off the site for days now.

I, for one, am sure as h**l not going to change my operating system just because it doesn't agree with one forum! I belong to and particitpate on over a dozen forums with no speed problems at all, and this one is far slower all of a sudden after the change. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't one of my favorite forums!
Did you know that this is an interim upgrade until the new one is ready? Hell it's temporary. What OS & browser are you having problems with?

To reiterate:

No one is suggesting you change operating systems. We have determined that SB runs best on newer browser versions - Internet Explorer 8 and above, Firefox 3.x and above or Google Chrome (version depends on O/S).

If you are not running one of them, it's suggested that you upgrade to improve your SB experience. Howarde has determined that there are apparently conflicts with IE7 and .vBulletin 4.x. Read the post directly below yours - good results seem to have been obtained by a browser upgrade.

In my personal experience I'm running Windows 7 and Firefox 4.0.1 and aside from having to re-login to the Photo Gallery once after the upgrade I have not had any of the issues reported in this and several other threads. I also test on an XP machine under IE8 with similar good results. Both are directly connected to a 20MB/sec. broadband connection - which also affects performance. Are any of the other forums the size of ScubaBoard? With 2-3000 simultaneous users at peak times?

Currently we are waiting for a new SB skin from the designer. It should be implemented sometime in the next month. I would assume that further tuning of the system will occur at that time also. And also when our sysadmin has time before then. It won't be this week as he's out of the country with limited/no internet access.

hth,

I don't think it can be argued that the site isn't WAY slower after the "upgrade"......at least that's been my experience using Snow Leopard and Firefox 3.6.17. There have obviously been additional scripts added that are slowing it way down. I know you guys have worked hard on it and are getting tired of these posts, but my experience here is nothing like it used to be before the upgrade. We really liked it here and no longer do, that's just the reality of it at this given moment.

I hope it eventually reaches a point where it satisfies your marketing needs and is actually usable.

I have been caught in this trap before but it amazes me how many people believe that every problem is SB's fault. If your system is slower, what about the latest Java update? Or Flash update? Or OS update? Or Adobe update? Or AV updates? Of course not because we all "know" it was the SB upgrade. I call BS.....I loved SB on google Chrome but I updated my AVG anti-virus and now Chrome shuts my system down.....this happened around the time the SB Upgrade happened. Must be SB's fault.

I am not using the latest of everything yet am not having the issues that everybody is having. That to me tells me that SB is not responsible for every issue listed here. Howard and Steve (and others too) have tried to be helpful yet have been taking a boatload of abuse from us, the SB community. What a nice community we have built for ourselves when we set out to rip apart those that are trying to help us.

And since MANY of you simply chose to ignore it........

temporary [ˈtɛmpərərɪ ˈtɛmprərɪ] adj

1. not permanent; provisional temporary accommodation
2. lasting only a short time

I hope it eventually reaches a point where it satisfies your marketing needs and is actually usable.

Read the thread before making silly statements like this.

What a nice community we have built for ourselves when we set out to rip apart those that are trying to help us.

Good point. Since I've been among those struggling with the changes and have been reading various posts (which in itself was nearly impossible until last night), I gather I am not the only one who doesn't know why this change is being made. I'm sure that's been explained somewhere, but I've not seen it in the mix and numerous other posts indicate that others don't know either. Perhaps if we knew why we're going through this, the miseries of the transition would be easier to tolerate. It's been mentioned that this is all temporary, but I'm probably not the only one who has no idea what we'll be left with when the temporary phase has passed. I've seen an assertion that the old SB is gone forever, but no reassurance that the new SB will feel well worthwhile, or why, once it's done.

Clearly, much hard work is being done in the background and those doing it are working under fire from an unhappy, seemingly ungrateful SB community. Maybe it's partly a communication thing. I've wondered if part of the reason for the change is to keep up with upgrades in other systems with which SB must interface. For instance, my operating system (XP) is fine for now, but there will be a day when it's compatible with nothing current. Is SB being changed to keep up with the software environment around it? Are there other reasons?

I gather I am not the only one who doesn't know why this change is being made. I'm sure that's been explained somewhere, but I've not seen it in the mix and numerous other posts indicate that others don't know either. Perhaps if we knew why we're going through this, the miseries of the transition would be easier to tolerate.
I've wondered if part of the reason for the change is to keep up with upgrades in other systems with which SB must interface. For instance, my operating system (XP) is fine for now, but there will be a day when it's compatible with nothing current. Is SB being changed to keep up with the software environment around it? Are there other reasons?

HowardE posted an explanation a few days ago:
Why is change necessary?

--- We were on version 3.8 of vBulletin. This is 4.1. We want to offer all of the latest features of the forum. So... the only solution - UPGRADE. The big issue was that 4 from 3 was a total re-design, and completely new core, and thus all old "hacks" (enhancements) didn't work. ScubaBoard had a lot of enhancements, both good and bad. All of them however changed the performance of the site. Now we have just the essentials, and hopefully the site will perform better.

Also, there is a soon to be released "CMS" with articles, etc. This content will be an actual home page, and we'll have nice stuff there to enhance the user experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom