Main tank to pony connection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to transfer air from my main air tank into my pony bottle?

It seems silly to have to pay for an air fill for the pony when there is still 500-100 psi of air left in my main tanks.

Surely someone makes a connector hose for this purpose?

To accomplish what you are trying to do you would need a booster, which would allow you to push the air into the pony bottle. Otherwise you can only fill to the PSI of the donating bottle and even that would not really work well because you would essentially be equalizing the two bottles.

The cost of the booster would be a LOT of air fills for the pony, so it would not really be worth it.

A final point, you really should not be emptying your main tank completely --a few hundred PSI in the tank is good.

Jeff

Hemlon:
Is there a way to transfer air from my main air tank into my pony bottle?

It seems silly to have to pay for an air fill for the pony when there is still 500-100 psi of air left in my main tanks.

Surely someone makes a connector hose for this purpose?
You generally shouldn't be using up your pony, since it's only there for an emergency, and would only get used if there was a problem or you're practicing with it.

If you routinely find that you're using up the air in your pony, something is wrong.

However, if you're only using up a few hundred PSI practicing with it, I would assume most shops would top if off for you for free or cheap (I know we do).

Terry

Terry,

I don't routinely use the air in my pony. If you read my original post again, you will see that I never mentioned emptying it frequently.

But when it needs a fill, it would be nice to be able to transfer some air.

You have to take it off the top, not the bottom of the main tank. I use a crossover hose. Main tank 3000 when you fill, it cuts your dive short a few minutes, no big deal.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUTCE.html

I made a transfer whip to fill and top off my pony. I used 2 spare air filler connectors and had a hydraulic shop provide the hose with the necessary 1/2 X 20 connections. Filling an empty 13 cf pony from 2 full S80s gives me about 2900 psi in the pony and about 2750 in each S80 after balancing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom