Main tank to pony connection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pony size dependent, what impact it would have. For example, my 19CF is 1/4 of an AL80 (since they are actually about 77 CF). If I connect an empty 19CF pony to a 3000 psi AL80, they would both end up at 2400 PSI. (Since I would be spreading a given amount of air across 5/4 of the volume, the pressure would change to 4/5 of the starting condition).

A whole lot easier to just top it off at a shop, as Terry mentioned. None of the places I go charge for that -- I top them off, including up to a full fill, at the same time as I fill my regular tanks -- it's just a courtesy.

There are times when I have transfilled my pony off several large tanks like using a cascade system. This only takes a small amount of air from each main cylinder but it is a pain in the *****. Get a booster or build your own (did I just say that) and than you can pump small tanks for stageing or deco also.

I doubt the OP would want to spend the money on a transfer whip when she doesn't want to pay for a fill. I doubt she would want to buy a booster for several reasons, one they are expensive, two you need a tank of air to drive the booster, three she might have to put an spg on her pony to see if she gave herself a good fill, which she said in a previous post she doesn't want the extra equipment.

Generally dive shops will give free refills to pony bottles that are less than 30 cubic feet

Hemlon:
Terry,

I don't routinely use the air in my pony. If you read my original post again, you will see that I never mentioned emptying it frequently.

But when it needs a fill, it would be nice to be able to transfer some air.

There's no practical way to do it from a standard 3000 PSI AL tank.

If you had an empty 19 Cu Ft pony and a full AL 80 and a trans-fill hose, you would end up with around 2280 PSI in each. Getting anything more than that would require a compressor or a higher pressure tank to fill from.

Terry

Jorbar1551:
Generally dive shops will give free refills to pony bottles that are less than 30 cubic feet

Thanks...I'll ask my LDS about it at my next air fill!

I filled my buddies "Spare Air" with one of my 80s I didn't notice how much it took but, that thing is pretty small (no Flames please I don't own a Spare air). He had a fitting ad gauge to connect to a yoke valve. It worked ok.

if you have a Sport Chalet nearby, try them. they do pony tanks for free in my area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom