Maiden Voyage of the DA Aquamaster.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft

Contributor
Reaction score
Today was an annual equipment inventory and dive training for our Underwater Criminal Investigations Unit.
We had about 15 folks show up. Everyone was sporting Zeagle BCs and drysuits.
I had decided to try out a vintage Aquamaster I had picked up dirt cheap at a Goodwill store. I had gone through the reg and it was flawless. Apparently it had never been used. The rubber was like new.
I had an old USD backpack, a steel 72 tank, an old set of Voit Skindiver fins, vintage Cressi Sub mask and had attached an old USD spg onto the HP port on the tank valve. With a shorty wetsuit I used 4 lbs on a weight belt to go neutral (not counting the weight of the massive knife or the enormous SS depth guage on my wrist). It was an awesome feeling to glide around my buddies, listening to the sweet whoosh of the exhaust venting from my back. Now I have a couple of folks wanting to get into double hose gear as a result. One of my buddies compared diving the rig to riding around in a restored 57 Corvette. I think it is cooler than that.

It is the ultimate in minimalist diving and it is amazing how little drag you have in the water, how fast you can go and how far you can glide. It's also impressive how little weight you haul up the ladder.

I had forgotten how sweet it was until I started diving my old gear again. I have to admit I am gear rich and have a lot of dive gear from surface supplied full face mask, wireless and hard wired com. I am happy to get back to the basics and the only reason I have to dive my other stuff is for work. I dive vintage for enjoyment as it makes diving all new again and it is rewarding to get the old gear going again. I am sorry to say that about ten years ago I almost turned the tank I was diving today into a lamp. If you hang on to your gear long enough it will become a classic.

I recently got an Aquamaster myself and can't wait to get it wet. Either of you have any tips to keep me from drowning myself? I understand there are some differences in diving a double hose reg. I intend to spend some time in the shallow end of the pool for a while before heading to the deep end or the quarry.

Check out www.vintagedoublehose.com. A wealth of info on double hose regs. Also you may want to pick up some dive books off of ebay from the 1960's. There are ways to help your reg breath easier by placing it as close to your back as you can and avoid bulky backpacks or bc's to hold your tank. Hose clearing drills are important as well as air sharing drills. You can get a banjo fitting to attach an spg or some older tank valves had a high pressure port built into them to allow you to attach a spg to the tank. Adapters are available to run a second stage off your hooka port, etc. Enjoy your reg. It is a real thrill to dive those well built classics

herman:
I recently got an Aquamaster myself and can't wait to get it wet. Either of you have any tips to keep me from drowning myself? I understand there are some differences in diving a double hose reg. I intend to spend some time in the shallow end of the pool for a while before heading to the deep end or the quarry.

Yes. Contact Dan at www.vintagescubasupply.com and ask him for his recommendations. He has a lot of manuals and older books for sale.
Oh, and post some pics of these regs. Here's mine:
dscf1204.jpg

Herman, have it rebuilt by vintagedoublehose.com or vintagescubasupply.com. Join the forums there for excellent advice from the pros.
Yep, the pool try out---very good. yes, the differences are huge, you need to learn to clear without a purge and in general just get aquanited before heading out into open water.
N

Thanks guys. The reg was rebuilt recently (bought it from someone I know). I already have a octo/BC adapter for it. I intend to spend some time in the pool or quarry in what my LDS owner calls the JSU zone....just stand up. After I get the reg figured out, I am going to add the "cool" BC to the mix. With my big old mask and Nimrod BP I should turn some heads at the quarry.

It may take you some time to transition. Even though I had learned on a double and had dived one when I began I had switched to single hose like everyone else--just because everyone else did. Getting back into double hose a few years ago required some adjustment, review, questions and lot's of practice. Now, again, it feels right and single hose feels so WRONG but do expect a transition and a learning curve--possibly a really big one.

1. Wear the tank low--no--lower--get it lower---no---lower still--OK, now just a little lower
2. Use a back pack or harness that places the tank, preferably a steel 72, as close to the back as possible.
3. Learn that double hose regulators are position sensitive and that being a little sideways helps, resting on the back is useful and swimming downward head first results in the hardest breathing--keep that in mind.
4. Learn that there is no purge button--learn to clear by "milking" and by holding over head and by rolling.
5. Learn to buddy breath ---again--and actually practice it with your partner--even if you install an octapus.
6. Learn to rid yourself--slowly of all the extra junk and eventually even dump the BC--when conditions permit
7. Never forget that a little bit of physical conditioning--just a little--makes up for a whole lot of other deficiencies.
8. Enjoy your new freedom--you are now a Frog Man--you are at home in the water---you SWIM in all dimensions--your equipment is not "life support"--it just is-- a part of you!!! Welcome to vintage diving and join us at the forums at vintagedoublehose.com and vintagescubasupply.com.
N

The principle feature of the double hose regulator is that it is automatic. Nothing to do but breath and observe usual rules, don't hold your breath when ascending. To clear water from the mouthpiece, roll head to the left and blow gently, or--raise mouthpiece to self purge. If long swim to boat and mouthpiece blows, tuck arm through hose, if hose is long enough. Technical glitches may involve the non return valves--install new mushrooms. Install new duckbill (flutter) valve.

Get a double tank set with the orifice below the bar. The Aquamaster will show about 1/2 the breathing resistance if used with classic doubles. Tank diameter, 6.75. No thick backpack, thin pack or harness.

Second option, like Nemrod said. No bulky, thick tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom