Test Dive with Mistral DH.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get the clips off, I worked narrow standard screwdriver underneath the middle and pryed them off. To open them up to put them back on, I used a vise grip on the lower edge. To re-crimp them I used the vise grips a second time. The mechanical advantage they provide is almost scary. Those little suckers may never come off again...
I use vice grips for both taking the circlips off and putting them on. I use a screwdriver to pry the top edge out just a bit, then grab them with the vice grips and twist a bit to take them off. Before putting them on, I readjust the vice grips to straighten the clip out a bit to allow them to be easily placed in the groove, then (with another adjustment open) tighten them down to keep them in place. Once all the circlips are in place, I then tighten the vice grips and really clamp them down.

Now, the Mistral will breath harder at full tank pressure, but is almost a dream breathing machine at around 500 psig.

Concerning tank position, it is more difficult with a single tank than with a double tank system. The double tank places the Mistral more easily between the shoulder blades.

SeaRat

@John C. Ratliff
"I use vice grips for both taking the circlips off and putting them on. I use a screwdriver to pry the top edge out just a bit, then grab them with the vice grips and twist a bit to take them off. Before putting them on, I readjust the vice grips to straighten the clip out a bit to allow them to be easily placed in the groove, then (with another adjustment open) tighten them down to keep them in place. Once all the circlips are in place, I then tighten the vice grips and really clamp them down. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was the method employed from the very beginning and certainly allows the circlips to be removed and replaced.
Some time in the 1960s US Divers ( I think ?) distributed as single instruction sheet on modification of a tool. such as my hero the @captain posted
This simple tool makes life and removing abd replacing cir clips so much easer...
I suspect I will soon be in the ole work shop grinding away
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a supply of new never used factory Fresh Cir Clips
Possibly the last remaining supply in all diverdom
If and when needed PM me
SDM

I will post a better photo of the vice grip tool when I take one.

The end of the jaws are contoured and polished to the contour of the clips.
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2428.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
A cut down nut is used to lock the adjustment in place once it has been determined. That way every clip is compressed exactly the same.
IMG_2430.JPG

@captain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fantastic !
I had a pair of factory made clip removal tools and misplaced or lost them
This is a perfect example to follow to make another pair of clip removal tools
I have just discovered you are my new new best friend !
I will cheer for LSU and make some gumbo in your honor

Sam

Long time no see, how have you been on the left coast. Do you still go down to Baja. If we don’t have a football season LSU will be national champs for two years, LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom