Magnetic Octopus Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm skeptical because I can see it releasing with normal forces during diving.

Besides one of the best octo holders is a 2 dollar thingy:
Octo Holder - UltraRob: Cycling and Outdoor Gear Search and Reviews

The elasticity is what keeps it from releasing during normal forces, yet it can be deliberately pulled away.

Adam

My magnetic octo-holder is holding pics up on the refridgerator. I may think of another use for it some day. As an octo-holder? NOT!
The $1.99 thingy recommended by Hatul above is the way to go.

You guys do realise that if you use a compass while diving then this is going to affect it!!

Anything magnetic near a compass stuffs up its readings

Just for kicks I had a student use one of these the other day and it worked very well. He was pleased with it and so was I.

It did not appear to effect the compass he was using.

Just for kicks I had a student use one of these the other day and it worked very well. He was pleased with it and so was I.

It did not appear to effect the compass he was using.

I've never used one but I've made some dives with people who have them and they seem to be fit for purpose, much to my surprise, I might add.

My main concern would be what someone said above, that it would let loose from the normal forces in diving. This is a problem with *all* octopus holders, BTW. It's hard to design something that comes loose with just the right amount of force but is guaranteed to stay in place the rest of the time.

personally, I use two methods. On the set I use most often, I went with the long hose /bungee backup configuration. On the single tank set that I use for teaching I tied a loop of 2mm bungee to use as an octopus holder. The bungee is perfect and much better than those silly rubber things for two reasons:

1) it's completely indestructible unlike any commercial product I've ever seen.
2) it's highly elastic which allows it to hold the octopus firmly but it comes away easily with a tug.

R..

Another solution to a nonexistant problem designed to garner cash from the inexperienced.
I would characterize it as a different solution to a widespread problem: how do I secure my octopus while still keeping it available for simple and rapid deployment? A too expensive and sub-optimal solution? Probably. Nonexistent problem? I don't think so, and the profusion of neon-orange scum-balls, re-tasked snorkel keepers, and similar solutions seen on a typical dive boat are the evidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom