Magnetic Octopus Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe times have changed, but when going off a boat I was always told to hold the mask and the reg in my mouth with one hand and the octo and console with the other. Using that technique almost anything should hold an octo in place from a $.99 snorkel keeper to your $20.00 magnetic thing. I never had my octo slip off on entry nor become detached during a dive using the Scubapro device.

The reason I ask if you test it first is because some holders do not work with all regulators. For example the simple ball you stuff your mouthpiece to hold would not work with my Oceanic Delta octo because the mouthpiece was too soft and too long to insert. I couldn't do it and my OW instructor could not do it, his advice was buy a new mouthpiece, which contradicted his earlier advice that soft mouthpieces are better. At that point I knew he was full of crap. As a side note I did not even need a holder because my BC at the time had a specialized pocket to hold the octo. He was just trying to sell me more junk.

My school sets are all ScubaPro, so the octo retainer should fit. And yet in too many cases to overlook, the SP octo retainer fails to retain the octo. I just won't fuss with it any longer.

During the giant stride, I teach students to hold the mask and reg with one hand and the weight belt buckle with the other. There are no spare hands for making sure the octo doesn't get jarred loose from its retainer on impact with the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom