Magnetic Octopus Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I confess to wanting one of these on my SPG hose but for some of the reasons mentioned above I never pulled the trigger. Plus I wasn't sure what the magnet would do to the instrument itself. I use a bolt snap currently and no problems on my BCD but on my Zuma I don't have D Rings that stand out so the one hander is a PIA.
You secure your octopus to your BC with a bolt snap? That doesn't seem like it would lend itself to rapid deployment in the event of an out-of-gas emergency.

Look again!

He said SPG not Occy!
Ah, thanks, my mistake. I'm glad I was diplomatic.:D

I don't recommend using magnets for holding an octo.

Gets annoying with any ferrous particle sticking and preventing it from engaging properly and occasionally will pop out by inadvertent contact making it unreliable in an emergency.

I'm an OW diver and I'm interested in getting one of these mainly because my octo usually free flows because of the mouthpiece's orientation (opening up). I figured with one of these I can orient the octo downward. Wouldn't this be a good compromise, notwithstanding the disadvantages mentioned?

This is what I call gimmick gear, a solution to an imaginary problem. Here is a more recent thread discussing options. A Scubapro octo holder will block the mouthpiece reducing freeflows as will some of the other holders on the market.

Whats wrong with bungying the octi around your neck?

Nothing. Just as there is nothing wrong with different people using different solutions to the problem of keeping an octo secure, yet readily available.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 05:44 PM ----------

I'm an OW diver and I'm interested in getting one of these mainly because my octo usually free flows because of the mouthpiece's orientation (opening up). I figured with one of these I can orient the octo downward. Wouldn't this be a good compromise, notwithstanding the disadvantages mentioned?

A better solution would be to fix your octo so it doesn't freeflow. You don't mention what you're using, but so many have a dive/pre-dive setting or venture adjustment... and those that don't can be tuned by the shop that services them.

They're not good options. I bought several when Piranha had them on sale, thinking we could use them for students, but they just don't hold.

If your breathing from your octo, and not your primary, doesn't that make the octo your primary?

BlueWaterDiving is making a 'funny'. The bungied 2nd stage is for him only, but he holds it in reserve in case he has to donate a 2nd stage to someone else. To keep that donated 2nd stage in good working order and to have it ready at moments notice -- without I might add worrying about the retaining system releasing the 2nd stage when it shouldn't -- he keeps it in his mouth and tests it by breathing on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom