Magnetic Octopus Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I call gimmick gear, a solution to an imaginary problem. Here is a more recent thread discussing options. A Scubapro octo holder will block the mouthpiece reducing freeflows as will some of the other holders on the market.
See post 9 in this thread. The solution may be wanting, but the problem is not imaginary.

They're not good options. I bought several when Piranha had them on sale, thinking we could use them for students, but they just don't hold.

Looking at them online I can see why they don't work so hot. I have a concept I have been toying with for a while. Maybe it's time to build prototypes.

Pete

See post 9 in this thread. The solution may be wanting, but the problem is not imaginary.

Sorry Vlad but needing a magnet to hold an octo in place is gimmick gear plain and simple. Didn't some guy post in the thread that he uses his to hold papers to the refrigerator? The SP holder I recommended will do the job for much less money and there are even less expensive solutions in the threads I posted.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 07:43 PM ----------

They're not good options. I bought several when Piranha had them on sale, thinking we could use them for students, but they just don't hold.

If you are talking about these they are not the same thing. I never had a problem with mine not holding.

[video=youtube;UxhSvTi4MaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxhSvTi4MaM[/video]

Watch around 1:00 mark.

Sorry Vlad but needing a magnet to hold an octo in place is gimmick gear plain and simple. Didn't some guy post in the thread that he uses his to hold papers to the refrigerator? The SP holder I recommended will do the job for much less money and there are even less expensive solutions in the threads I posted.

I don't think you're reading well. The problem is not "needing a magnet..." I stated the problem clearly, I think, in post 9:

how do I secure my octopus while still keeping it available for simple and rapid deployment?
That is the problem, and the profusion of solutions is the best evidence that it is not imaginary. You have a better solution, we agree.

Magnetic...

I do have a magnetic landyard to secure my camera... but both ends are now crowded with fine sand that I pick up in indo... it looks nice and all in the water....but can be a pain if u are anal about keeping thing clean

I don't think you're reading well.

I read very well thank you. I did not read the entire thread because it is from 2010. I feel I can reasonably assume the OPs problem was solved after a couple of years. I did read from where the new poster said he wanted to buy one to hold his octo in position because it was free flowing. That was his problem which I was trying to help him by providing a recommendation and a link to another thread.

+1 for the scubapro keeper. Can't say about the magnet type but the scubapro one has worked great for me.

I've been using a similar one to the magnetic octo keeper the OP's link points to on my teaching rig for a couple of years, though it's probably a different manufacturer (it's got no name or logo on it). I really, really like it. It holds very well, seldom disconnects on its own (even with the force of water of a giant stride, which seems to be when most octo holders let go), and yet takes just a firm tug to separate. I've never had a problem of getting debris in it, even when diving near wrecks, and it has never accumulated sand. The only thing that has happened to it in terms of wear and tear is that the color is wearing off the aluminum "cap" part of it. At a recent dive show, I picked up an alternative model that's not magnetic but instead has a little knob that pops into and out of a trio of bent metal clasps, but I haven't tried it in the water yet. As for the magnetic ones messing up compasses, I haven't experienced that effect at all. Those SP ones? I dislike them--most people just can't make them work, and rather than saying that people are simply dolts for not figuring it out, I'm more of the opinion that a device that most people fail to use effectively is poorly designed. I've got a whole mask box full of them on a shelf...they won't even hold pictures onto the fridge!

And as a side note, clipping off an alternate with a bolt snap--we actually do this in sidemount diving when we're breathing from the short hose on the necklace and need to stow the long hose reg. It takes some practice to become confident in one's efficiency in order to deploy it in case of emergency, and it's smart to drill it repeatedly so that there are no avoidable delays.

Those SP ones? I dislike them--most people just can't make them work, and rather than saying that people are simply dolts for not figuring it out, I'm more of the opinion that a device that most people fail to use effectively is poorly designed. I've got a whole mask box full of them on a shelf...they won't even hold pictures onto the fridge!

I don't know why people cannot make them work. If you sell them at your shop don't you instruct them in how to use it? or make sure it will work with their regulator?

And as a side note, clipping off an alternate with a bolt snap--we actually do this in sidemount diving when we're breathing from the short hose on the necklace and need to stow the long hose reg. It takes some practice to become confident in one's efficiency in order to deploy it in case of emergency, and it's smart to drill it repeatedly so that there are no avoidable delays.

My understanding is when using a bolt snap to hold the octo in recreational diving, the attachment is a breakaway such as a thin o-ring or rubber band. So that when someone pulls the octo it will break loose and does not need to be unsnapped. For sidemount which is usually done with doubles I would assume air shares must be rare given both divers have totally redundant tanks and regulators.

I don't know why people cannot make them work. If you sell them at your shop don't you instruct them in how to use it? or make sure it will work with their regulator?
Even showing people how to use them, they still pop off too frequently to be considered reliable. There are several alternative methods that are more reliable, including the magnetic device we're discussing. This sort of item shouldn't need "instructions for use" to the point that somebody felt the need to make a YouTube vid to demonstrate it anyway--it should be obvious at first attempt how to make it work with minimal failure rates.

My understanding is when using a bolt snap to hold the octo in recreational diving, the attachment is a breakaway such as a thin o-ring or rubber band. So that when someone pulls the octo it will break loose and does not need to be unsnapped. For sidemount which is usually done with doubles I would assume air shares must be rare given both divers have totally redundant tanks and regulators.
That is correct in the main. However, when doing drills we don't damage the breakaway and we do unsnap the reg. The point is not the expected rarity of the need to share air while on sidemount, but simply that there was a question about whether an alternate air source would ever be secured by way of a bolt snap. I explained that yes, sometimes it is in fact the case that we do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom