Magnetic Octopus Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't think there was another way.
Unless your sidemounting, then you can lose the long hose.

Neckless for primary and long hose for my octo and I breath from the octo. That is the only way.

If your breathing from your octo, and not your primary, doesn't that make the octo your primary?

Strong magnets in the selenium cobalt, rare earth, and neodymium iron boron classes are a real PIA around wrecks and under piers where they load up with ferrous particles. The loose ends also snap to tanks, trunk lids, and just about everything else as you sort your gear out on deck. It is also a bad idea to store them near digital cameras, cell phones, and decompression computers.

One foot of ¼" bungee, a constrictor knot around the hose, and a brass or stainless trigger snap works fine and lasts a long time.

Hi,
the Seemann Magnetic Octopus Holder works fantastic.
It releases easily with reasonable pull.
The best part is putting the octopus back if you have used it.
The parts align automatically and snap together as soon as they are near.
Never seen something as easy to use.
The magnets are not strong enough to deflect the normal dive compass.
Since it's made from aluminum it needs rinsing, that's it.

Magnets now a days can be made so that they don't interfere. For example I'm on my Macbook Pro right now and the power cord is a "Magsafe". And it use to be is Magnet got near a computer the thing was Shot. Now it's used to hold the power cord. And this cord is held Very Good. and the HDD is closer to the Mag then a Compass to the Octo (Of course depending on where you have your octo). So I think I might have to get one of these.
Is there a US location to grab one of these?

Magnets now a days can be made so that they don't interfere. For example I'm on my Macbook Pro right now and the power cord is a "Magsafe". And it use to be is Magnet got near a computer the thing was Shot. Now it's used to hold the power cord. And this cord is held Very Good. and the HDD is closer to the Mag then a Compass to the Octo (Of course depending on where you have your octo). So I think I might have to get one of these.
Is there a US location to grab one of these?

That is only true to a point. Everyday iron magnets are very weak compared to the magnets in question. It is very difficult for an adult male to pull two 1" diameter selenium cobalt magnets apart. A ¼" rare earth magnet will easily erase a magnetic based memory media in seconds. It is all a question of the strength of the magnet field, proximity, and time.

Last edited:
I confess to wanting one of these on my SPG hose but for some of the reasons mentioned above I never pulled the trigger. Plus I wasn't sure what the magnet would do to the instrument itself. I use a bolt snap currently and no problems on my BCD but on my Zuma I don't have D Rings that stand out so the one hander is a PIA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom