Made the BIG Purchase - How did I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, after much research and driving to different dive shops, I finally made the big purchase. Total price for the package was $1900.00. Please tell me I didn't go wrong so I can feel better! Here's the list:

SeaQuest Black Diamond BC (2000 model)
SeaQuest Air Source II
Apex TX50
Sunto Cobra with Compass

(Also, has anyone tried the 2001 Black Diamond? How does it compare to the 2000 model? I got the 2000 model on sale but could always switch it out for the newer one if the differences are significant).

hello tbg. it looks like you purchased top of the line equipment, which is good. i hate to rain on your party,,,but,, i hope you got a couple of 80's with your purchase, ijt seems high to me, but i guess every part of the country may have different prices? when i make my first big purchase it included 2 al 80's and i still wasn't up to your price, albeit it was 5 yrs ago. well get wet and have fun, sam

You made the shop owner very happy!!

Black Diamond 399.95
Air Source 199.95
APEKS TX-50 232.00

SUUNTO
STINGER 408.00
vyper 285.00

I can get these prices today and so can anyone else with a little shopping and effort.

My opinion.........
I would take the BC and air source back and get a backplate and wings and a tx40 to go with the 50.

Brad

tbg,

my gosh! black diamond! *drool`* are you sure you're gonna need that much lift? i'm a rec diver so i find that bc's like that go way overboard with the d-rings and extra lift.

i suppose you probably have different requirements. not to mention that a bc that big is a pain to lug around and clean.

You'll love the TX50 and the Cobra. Nice BC too. I'm not to fond of the intergrated octos, but they do make for one less hose.

Apeks TX50 for $232? Where?

Regarding the price I paid for the package, I know it was high compared to what I could do mail order. In fact, I could have used Leisure Pro and saved $100's. But I wanted to use (and help support) a local shop (in New Jersey) for this stuff, and sad but true, the place I got the stuff from was $150 LESS than another nearby shop for the same package. I am the first person to look for the best bargains on almost everything, but when it comes to this stuff, I didn't want to chance anything. As for the integrated octo, I got it to eliminate a hose for warm water diving. For NJ diving, I will have to get a separate pony setup anyway; an octo wouldn't do.

Incredible! I would imagine that those are less than the dealers are paying here in the States. Any idea what duties are for these goods (ie regs)?

Hi DD,

A British diver I know who lives here in New England recommended diveinn.com to me. Here are his comments from a recent e-mail he sent me regarding buying through diveinn --

"DiveINN is not a "gray" market place - your manufacturer's warranty card comes officially stamped etc - they are an official distributor of Apeks. Although the prices seem very low compared to here (US), we are paying 50%+ more than Europe for the same gear; the price in a regular dive store in England is only a little more than DiveINN. I rather think we are getting screwed here in the US for European-made equipment (see also Suunto prices).

The only odd thing you *may* see with DiveINN is the invoice from DHL about 2 weeks later for some summary amount the customs guy decided to charge you. For my TX100 from Simply Scuba it was a charge for $10, from DiveINN it was $20, but my Cobra from SimplyScuba was tax-free, obviously the customs guy was not paying attention that day."

Hope this is helpful.

-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom