Luggage Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am curious what folks find effective in traveling to Cozumel for luggage and scuba gear?

Last year we used my Stal Sack duffel for my dive gear and we used some nylon duffel bags with wheels. After the trip we had to ditch the nylon duffels they were destroyed.

So, my options presently are-
Samsonite ballistic nylon duffel bag that has a 3 year warranty or a
Samsonite (basic) plastic hard side case with two inline wheels and a 10 year warranty. Nope neither is cheap-

Since this crowd makes the trek as often as possible; I thought I would ask for opinions as for what is working for other people.

Dive computers, camera, prescription mask and HID light head all go into the carry on luggage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time.
Regards, Andrew

Crazyduck:
I am curious what folks find effective in traveling to Cozumel for luggage and scuba gear?

Last year we used my Stal Sack duffel for my dive gear and we used some nylon duffel bags with wheels. After the trip we had to ditch the nylon duffels they were destroyed.

So, my options presently are-
Samsonite ballistic nylon duffel bag that has a 3 year warranty or a
Samsonite (basic) plastic hard side case with two inline wheels and a 10 year warranty. Nope neither is cheap-

Since this crowd makes the trek as often as possible; I thought I would ask for opinions as for what is working for other people.

Dive computers, camera, prescription mask and HID light head all go into the carry on luggage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time.
Regards, Andrew

Weight restrictions have caused us to stop taking our hard sided luggage....we use cheap duffels with wheels..if they get holes in them we just duct tape them until the are unusable...I have used every kind of duffel in the world...I didn't find one working any better than another...plus if the cheap ones get torn up I don't feel so bad..to each their own

Crazyduck:

I use two rolling igloo coolers and a couple of duffels for my wife and me. I bungee the duffels to the coolers and we roll on through airports without assistance. The coolers are pretty lightweight but they are strong and rigid, and the larger one is long enough to handle our fins. The smaller one keeps the cervesas cold in the room and the larger one serves as a lockbox (I put hasps on both of them) when we leave the room. When we catch fish, the hotel freezes dorado filets for us and a cooler keeps them frozen for the trip home.

Works for me, anyway...

We use a pair of these. Akona's Roller Duffels model #AKB224

Why? They are tough as nails, have plenty of room, don't necessarily scream "Scuba inside, steal me!", they have compression straps and are/were somewhat inexpensive but they suck a keeping cervezas cold! I recall ours were considerably less (~$65 each) at the time (~3 years ago) from an online vendor but I cannot remember who we got them from. It wasn't LP or Scuba Toys.
Akona has a newer version of the roller duffel for '07 but I cannot vouch for it.

Here's what I use...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2476189

Remember, with the new weight restrictions on flights, traditional bags will eat up as much as a third of your weight allowance. These boxes weigh only about 5 pounds, leaving the other 45 pounds for your gear.

They are cheap, so you can buy four of these for less than the cost of one deluxe scub a bag. They are roomy, easy to more around and have wheels on them.

Because they don't have a bunch of scuba decals on them, they are less attractive to thieves (although that is really not so much of a problem). They stack up nicely when not in use.

Jeff

jtoorish:
Here's what I use...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2476189

Remember, with the new weight restrictions on flights, traditional bags will eat up as much as a third of your weight allowance. These boxes weigh only about 5 pounds, leaving the other 45 pounds for your gear.

Just picking nits here but the specs on these tubs indicate the shipping weight is 13 pounds. That's quite a bit heavier than you indicated. I know it's shipping wieght but can the shipping material actually weigh more than the product? Just wondering becasue I think the Akona bags we use are a bit on the heafty side (11 lbs) to begin with and I'm always looking for a lighter alternative.

Can you take a large gear bag like that Akona duffel onto a boat? Or do you boat divers have a smaller mesh bag pliable enough to stuff under a bench on deck but big enough to hold BC, wetsuit, towels, etc.

Josh

They actually ship them in a cardboard box...believe it or not. The boxes add weight and, you know, they probably add a couple of pounds to the estimate. I have an Akona bag and these are a LOT lighter.

I know I can fill them then with cave gear, underwater camera gear, etc, and still come in under 50 pounds.

Jeff

Hinalo:
Can you take a large gear bag like that Akona duffel onto a boat? Or do you boat divers have a smaller mesh bag pliable enough to stuff under a bench on deck but big enough to hold BC, wetsuit, towels, etc.

I have fins, BC, and regs in a mesh bag and a smaller dry bag for towels, tip money, etc. I don my wetsuit while I'm ashore. The fast boats are pretty small.

Eagle Creek sells the best luggage that is durable and light weight. If you are feeling fancy, Tumi has a rolling duffel line that is great too. In my experience, it's best to have unassuming luggage though, so they are not targets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom