Luggage Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by:
We use a pair of these. Akona's Roller Duffels model #AKB224

Why? They are tough as nails, have plenty of room, don't necessarily scream "Scuba inside, steal me!", they have compression straps and are/were somewhat inexpensive but they suck a keeping cervezas cold! I recall ours were considerably less (~$65 each) at the time (~3 years ago) from an online vendor but I cannot remember who we got them from. It wasn't LP or Scuba Toys.
Akona has a newer version of the roller duffel for '07 but I cannot vouch for it.

Yes, that Akona is fantastic! My wife and I dive and we use that Akona for our BCs, regs and other "hardware". We also use a fantasticly tough Akona duffel (can't remember model #) for the soft goods (wetsuits, fins, etc.). We have never exceeded the 52 lb limit on either. We also carry a rolled up duffel inside the other "travel" duffel. When we get to the hotel we transfer the gear from the hardshell roller into that other duffel and carry the two soft duffels to the boat. I've never plugged a manufacturer on this board before, but Akona is "good stuff."

I just got this bag for a recent trip because I was traveling on an airline who have lost my check in bags every time I've used them so I wanted to do carry on only.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11102330&search=luggage&Sp=S&Mo=13&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=luggage&Ntt=luggage&No=6&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I carried on this and my 'personal item' was my snorkeling bag

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CSBFB.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dcressi%2bbag%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%26SortDesc%3d0%26Hit%3d1
Between the two, I was able to carry all my gear (regs, bc, flashlights, camera with u/w case, 2 masks, fins, snorkel, computer, boots, mesh bag), and enough clothes, shoes, makeup, and toiletries for 6 days. I won't say there was room for a *lot* of clothes etc, but it was well worth it to arrive on vacation with all my gear still with me. Also, Costco's luggage is nice and tough, but far from a thief magnet.

Well, I know it's not cheap, but Tumi has served us very well. It's reasonably lightweight, has unbeatable inline-skate wheels that handle just about any surface, uses well-designed handles, and balances well. I've never had anything inside damaged, but airlines appear to have gone out of their way to kill the bags sometimes. We've had most of ours repaired (at airline expense) at least once. The "packing cases" (regular suitcases) will hold one diver's "big gear" (BC, fins) and all the clothing and other stuff we need. Regs, computers, cameras, lights, and masks go in two small rollaboard cases friom the L.L. Bean outlet. These easily hold all the stuff I mentioned for 3 divers as well as a change of clothes, swimsuit, and other necessities for each of us in case the check-throughs get lost or delayed.

If I were on a budget, I'd use the large L.L. Bean rolling check-throughs instead of the Tumi. My parents paid $60 each for them at the outlet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom