Luggage Question for Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank Storms

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are flying out of Atlanta on AA to Miami connecting with Cayman Air to Brac.
Cayman Air allows two free checked bags, AA one free checked bag. My Travel
Agent told me the destination airline rules as far as baggage goes. Is this true?
Anyone flown this route/connections lately?

Frank

We flew AA from Norfolk, VA to Miami connecting to Cayman Air to Brac just a month ago. On the way down, my wife and I each checked one big bag and carried on a roller board. We always take carry-on with important items (regs, mask, change of clothes) going in case the checked bags get delayed. So no charges. But on the way back (Cayman Air to GC then Miami connecting to AA to Norfolk) we checked all four bags (2 each) and there were no charges. They checked the bags all the way to Norfolk in Brac which surprised me. That direct flight to Brac from Miami is great. I just wish you could do it on the way back.

corrected post: based on my initial reading of Cayman Airways' luggage policy, I had posted that I thought the checked bags were limited to pilots' case size (45 linear inches). But reading the policy again, I believe the limit is actually 62 linear inches for checked bags.

Anyway, Frank, based on one of your previous posts, looks like I'll be seeing you at BRBR the first week of October.

Last edited:
Thanks. I knew Cayman Airway allows two free checked bags on their jets,
but was trying to determine if AA will also allow two free bags or only one-
which is their policy on their website. i couldn't find any info on connecting
flights with other airlines with different baggage policies. We usually travel
with three checked bags, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised if AA doesn't
charge for the third bag.
See you in Brac in October! Have you stayed at BRBR before? This will be
our first time.

First time for us, too. Really looking forward to it!

Wish I could help more with your question, but I don't have much experience there, as we typically fly Delta everywhere and get free bags through our credit card and my wife's status. My initial reaction was that I was surprised to hear your travel agent suggest that AA would adjust their baggage policy to conform to another airline's for multi-sement trips. But based on what SEVADiver said above about checking bags all the way through to his home town, maybe AA has a partnership with Cayman Airways.

James

Just returned from Little Cayman last week.

Cayman Airways allowed two free bags that combined weigh 70 lbs or less.

Flights both ways were full and as far as I know, the flights were able to accomodate all of the passengers bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom