Baggage Handling with Connecting flights with Cayman Airways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are thinking of flying American or Delta and connecting with a Cayman Airways flight in Miami or Tampa to GCM

Will we have to collect our baggage and re-check it with Cay Air, or will AA or Delta check it all the way through?

Thanks for any experience you can share.

We are thinking of flying American or Delta and connecting with a Cayman Airways flight in Miami or Tampa to GCM

Will we have to collect our baggage and re-check it with Cay Air, or will AA or Delta check it all the way through?

Thanks for any experience you can share.
I've gone thru Tampa on Delta, picking up Cayman Air from there . You do have to claim and recheck luggage. That being said, smaller airport, easy quick access to gates and counter. I certainly rather go from Tampa than Miami given the choice!

I have used both. Tampa is easier. The Cayman counter in MIA is seldom busy, but picking up baggage at claim and hauling it to Cayman counter can be a chore.

You need to give yourself some time. Usually flights to the Caymans are once per day or sometimes once per week, So it is best to have time for a flight delay to be built in and enough time to collect your luggage and check it in at Cayman Air. Tampa is an easier airport than MIami,

Thanks All,

In the end, we booked an evening flight on American to Charlotte, and then a morning American flight to GCM the next day. We’ll grab a hotel room for the night and be well rested for diving.

If we ever do the connection to Cayman Airways it’ll most likely be through Tampa. Miami seems almost always to have snafus built in!

Thanks again,
DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom