Low Self-Discharge NimH Rechargeable Batteries Technical Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, thought I'd share a couple of great web links with everyone that compares low-self discharge NimH batteries. I found these links while doing research on the Sanyo Eneloops and similar alternatives for my new Inon S-2000 strobe. Good news for us Canadians is that President's Choice (by Loblaws) generic NimH batteries are nearly as good as the Sanyo Eneloops for less cost.

Here is the link:
Review: Pre-Charged (Low Self-Discharge) Rechargeable Battery Comparison

Here is a link to a technical review of the Sanyo Eneloop NimH Battery:
Review: Testing Sanyo's Eneloop Low Self-Discharge Rechargeable Battery

I am not sure if someone has posted this info already. I did a search but could not find anything similar so here it is.

This is very useful, in fact I have been using the eneloops in my camera over the surface and they were very good performers. Good to know that one is not restricted to this brand only.
One question though, I needed D cell batteries and found out that eneloops are only produced as AA size... do you know about other brands that produce low self-discharge D cell size?

@marcaumarc: Thanks for that response.
@Solly: Yes, Sanyo Eneloop has 'C' size and 'D' size shells that will accomodate an 'AA' size battery so you can use 'AA' size for devices that require 'C' or 'D' size batteries. You should be able to purchase them from wherever you purchased your set of Sanyo Eneloop batteries. Or, as marcaumarc mentioned, from Amazon. As a matter of fact, as I eat through my current collection of Energizer batteries, I will slowly be switching to one of the low self-discharging batteries. To start, I will be purchasing 4x AA President's Choice NimH Batteries and 4x Sanyo Eneloop Batteries for my Inon S2000 strobe. If the test reviews are right concerning the President's Choice Batteries, they should perform as well as the Eneloop.

Dear Moderator,

Can you make this thread a sticky? This is an excellent reference for those wishing to know more about the performance of low self-discharge NimH rechargeable batteries.

The Duracells and Eneloops have performed very well for me, you links confirm several things. Thanks, very useful links.

N

Back
Top Bottom