Lots of new DIY projects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hombre,
you were born in the wrong century !

In the genesis of diving our moto was "If it cost over a dollar we made it!"
And indeed we did- We made almost everything that has now reached the modern market.

Keep up the experimenting and posting -- I certainly enjoy reading them

Sam Miller, 111

That is some great stuff! Those little QRM mounts are PRICEY from DR. ..Very nice... But Pricey.. Will yours fit onto the DR mounts? Or are they a different size?

I would love to see some more detail on your wing construction. I have a couple ideas I have been toying with, that nobody makes, and I was thinking about experimenting.. :)

No won't fit real QRM, but you can size it to. Wing I'll give more info whe

Wing project is almost done and I really like it. I took 1000 Denier Cordura and coated it with a layer of AquaSeal (I use 8 oz tubes - much cheaper). Then sewed the wing 7/8 the way around, turned it inside out and AquaSealed the seams. Turned it right side out and put the OPV and LPI holes in the bladder, sewed it closed and used the back hole to use a finger to AguaSeal the last stitching. Then apply AquaSeal between the fabric at the edges making sure to get the stitching and let cure under weights. Make sure to talc the freshly cured AquaSeal otherwise it bonds to itself. Sew a binding around the edge and then set the grommets. I have done all but the grommets and pressure tested it. It feels as heavy as the commercial ones and holds air well. The "seal the perimeter stitching from inside" step probably isn't needed, but given physics, should make it very durable.

Thinning the AquaSeal with Toluene helps spread it better. Other thinners might work, but I know Toluene does and still have a supply at home.

If making a donut wing: you can probably seal all the seams from the outside. This just leaves visible AquaSeal on the finished project. I have used this technique on my back up perimeter seams on my heat sealed versions and it holds well. I have even coated the entire outside of a (heat sealed) bladder with AquaSeal when the inside coating started to wear. This bladder has about 100 good dives on it.

You can start with a completely airtight fabric (reinforced PVC) or heavily PU coated fabric) and skip the coating step, but I worked with what I had on hand.

The 500 D heat sealed fabric works well as an inner bladder in a casing. I don't think it is durable enough to use as a single layer, hence my further experimentation. 500 D heat sealable packcloth is available at www.seattlefabrics.com as well as 1000 D Cordura or even Ballistics cloth. AquaSeal 8 oz tubes are available online for about $20, or you might even get your LDS to order you a tube. Keep it in the freezer between uses.

Have fun and happy creating.

Weight pocket. Made 3 today. Side by side with a bought one. Mine is a smidgen bigger :-D
It is double layer 1000D Cordura with a plastic stiffener plate between the back layers. I have the pattern.
20170723_181441[1].jpg
20170723_181644[1].jpg

Your a very talented person.

Back
Top Bottom