Lost Equipment-Broad Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all I wasn't insulting your friend I was just asking questions. When he gave the gear to his students did it become their gear at that point? Obviously he doesn't tether HIS gear because when his students had HIS gear it wasn't tethered. And who said that it had to be a long thether? If you know how to do a proper surf entry and exit and your gear is setup correctly it should never be a hazard. These are things that would make me question this instructors ability to teach. You sure have a lot to say for a person with 35 dives(which is not a lot more experience than any new diver) Aly, remember ego and over confidence can be 2 very dangerous traits when it comes to diving. With my 200+ dives I've got a looong way to go till I'm where I want to be with my diving.

Billy the Noob

All I can say is that I cannot believe how low the bar has been set by all the agencies for "Going Pro."

According to PADI, in a couple more dives I could have enough to qualify as a "Dive Master" while in reality I'm getting to the point of diving that I am "just" starting to get the merest glimpse of exactly how much I still have to experience and learn. And that's the key word, "Experience."

How can they possibly act like at 60 dives someone could possibly have "mastered" diving lol...

Aly, don't take it the wrong way, 'cause if its what you need to fulfill your needs then so be it, I just think the agencies are stupid and care less about having well experienced "professional" level divers, than they do in selling you an expensive course and then telling you, "congratulations, you've mastered diving!"

My 2psi....

All I can say is that I cannot believe how low the bar has been set by all the agencies for "Going Pro."

According to PADI, in a couple more dives I could have enough to qualify as a "Dive Master" while in reality I'm getting to the point of diving that I am "just" starting to get the merest glimpse of exactly how much I still have to experience and learn. And that's the key word, "Experience."

How can they possibly act like at 60 dives someone could possibly have "mastered" diving lol...

Aly, don't take it the wrong way, 'cause if its what you need to fulfill your needs then so be it, I just think the agencies are stupid and care less about having well experienced "professional" level divers, than they do in selling you an expensive course and then telling you, "congratulations, you've mastered diving!"

My 2psi....

im taking dm because i seeit as an opportunity to learn more. Period end of story... I know that no matter how many dives i have under my belt there is ALWAYS more to learn... I know what i have to work on.

As for the gear not being tethered, Billy, maybe you should jump on jamie next for not tethering his light twice at vets. Stuff happens it's called life, and just because someone makes the mistake of gear not being teathered for whatever reason is no reason foe you to question the quality of an instructor YOU DON'T KNOW.

now can we please ALL just end this discussion?

Yeah Billy, maybe you should jump on me because I'm a retard!! I promise not to get my only feeling hurt if you do.At least I lost (temporarily) my own $%#@, too. Anyway,how did MY NAME get dragged into this topic? Oh yeah,I remember now: ALY (Miss Personality). Billy,your thoughts on this whole DM thing are SO right on target.Good job!

Yeah Billy, maybe you should jump on me because I'm a retard!! I promise not to get my only feeling hurt if you do.At least I lost (temporarily) my own $%#@, too. Anyway,how did MY NAME get dragged into this topic? Oh yeah,I remember now: ALY (Miss Personality). Billy,your thoughts on this whole DM thing are SO right on target.Good job!

:rofl3: dude you crack me up! All of this has been gone over many times before on SB but I guess it needed to be out there for some of our newer SB members. BTW are you gonna be at Vet's this week? I think I'm heading out there Wednesday night for some training.

Billy

Stuff happens it's called life, and just because someone makes the mistake of gear not being teathered for whatever reason is no reason foe you to question the quality of an instructor YOU DON'T KNOW.

Thank you for the life lesson, and in your infinite diving wisdom you are wrong. An instructor is supposed to be setting and example for their students and that would definitely make me and most divers question their integrity as an instructor. The only thing those students are going to remember from that class is how terrible they feel because they lost their instructor's DPV's, not what skills they learned. Why did he have them with him in the first place? I don't solely blame the instructor because he is probably somewhat of a victim of the system. Certified too early and not of a deserving skill level. Let's say you get a DM cert after 60 dives, you really think you have enough skill and experience to save a distressed diver's life? I understand that you don't want to answer any of these questions as you have already shown because there's probably no logical reasoning behind the actions. Instead of getting defensive try to open yourself up and learn something!

BTW why don't you go through a reputable program like LA County. That's a certification that isn't bought, it's earned.

Billy

Hey Billy, I might do a dive on Tuesday night.I'm taking the family camping this week and we'll be leaving on Wednesday.Have fun and be safe down there. Nick and I did two night dives at Veterans last night, vis was maybe 12-15', water temps were 68 surface and 60 at 65', surf about 2'. A sea lion buzzed Nick at depth and nearly made him soil his wetsuit, pretty funny! Take care dude!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom