Lost Equipment-Broad Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still don't get how photography helps make you an advanced diver :popcorn:

If you can't manage the gear clipped to you through the surf then either don't take the gear or don't do the dive.

Hopefully the other DPV will turn up and everyone will have learned a lesson.

It's one of the 5 electives like deep dive or wreck. It gives you a little taste of the specialties you can take later on.

John

No thank goodness. The instructor who lost the DPV's is my rescue diver and DM instructor. I helped them look for it at broad this afternoon, and i told them id look for it at low tide early tomorrow morning (530) because they can't.

Aly how come your already going for your DM? Don't you wanna get some more experience in first? And do you really want to take it from someone who doesn't know the basics like tethering expensive gear? Does this instructor tether their lights? How about fin straps, or do they just stay in place without em? Sorry it's a lot of questions but these are things that should be thought about when choosing an instructor. Weren't you the one that started the thread on common sense and YES you always tether scooters and ancillary gear through the surf.

Josh you should know that by completing 5 OW dives and showing that you can press a button on a camera housing you're officially an advanced diver. PADI really needs to change that because we ALL know that it's not the c-card that makes the diver or even the amount of dives.

Billy

Last edited:
Photography makes you an advanced diver because you learn:

1) To multi task. Stay still, look, press button

2) Reduce silt. Because turbid water creates backscatter.

3) Situational awareness. You can find all the macro creatures around you.

4) Self reliance. Because while doing #3, you'll probably loose your buddy (new divers only)...

:D :popcorn: Okay, okay, I'm just BS'ing... :wink:

The non-politically correct reason most agencies created AOW is to expose new divers to other areas of diving in a compartmentalized fashion. Things that at one time were covered in OW were easier to break up and do separately, thereby shortening the required time to teach OW. It has also became a great way to sell gear to new divers.

On my way up the scuba professional ladder, gear sales and product positioning while teaching classes is covered. It's not a bad thing, it's what keeps our niche activity alive and manufacturers in business. As consumers we are constantly bombarded by many forms of product placement and sales pitches. Scuba is no different.

So, yeah, AOW, in many respects isn't about having "ADVANCED" skills (come on, SSI requires 25 dives --- PADI less) it's about exposure and generating sales.

With that said, I'd still recommend it for the beginning diver, just don't think that really makes you an "ADVANCED" diver -- that term is relative.

hehehe...

Thanks Kevin, good answer :)

Maybe they can couple the photography cert with the solo cert ;-)

Always Teather Expensive Gear to You!!!!!!!! Its Common Sense!

Last edited:
Aly how come your already going for your DM? Don't you wanna get some more experience in first? And do you really want to take it from someone who doesn't know the basics like tethering expensive gear? Does this instructor tether their lights? How about fin straps, or do they just stay in place without em?

I'm already going for my DM because i have 35 dives under my belt (as of late ive been diving an average of one dive every other day) and want to keep learning...I have more experience then a number of my friends had when they started their DM. Eric does know the basics and yes, despite your comments, he does teather his gear. Remember it was his students who lost them, not him. As for teathering i get it , but i can also see how a long teather can be safety hazard in certain surf conditions.

BTW for future reference, if you have an issue with me or my decisions please PM me about it do not post it on the board or insult someone i consider a friend

hey this is not a show. i swear!!! I said my piece and it ends here. I hate drama and dont want to foster any or put any on display.

First of all I wasn't insulting your friend I was just asking questions. When he gave the gear to his students did it become their gear at that point? Obviously he doesn't tether HIS gear because when his students had HIS gear it wasn't tethered. And who said that it had to be a long thether? If you know how to do a proper surf entry and exit and your gear is setup correctly it should never be a hazard. These are things that would make me question this instructors ability to teach. You sure have a lot to say for a person with 35 dives(which is not a lot more experience than any new diver) Aly, remember ego and over confidence can be 2 very dangerous traits when it comes to diving. With my 200+ dives I've got a looong way to go till I'm where I want to be with my diving.

Billy the Noob

Back
Top Bottom