Losing my best canine friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
:(Sorry about the downer all, but I just need to talk about this:(. Just got some very bad news yesterday. My canine companion, Raven, of 4yrs has terminal Lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes). It has advanced enough that the vet sees no reason to do chemo (plus the nearest place to do it is 3-4 hrs away). To be honest,... I've already broken down a few times since getting the news. It all started about 5 weeks ago when she just wasn't acting right. I checked her over (I'm a former Vet Tech) & found her lymph nodes under her jaws to be very swollen. I took her to the vet & he decided to treat it as an infection to start. She was on antibiotics for about 3 weeks. The glands seemed to be responding some, but not fully. As soon as the antibiotics were finished, the glands started growing again. The vet told me to give it a week & see what happened,.... nothing but more growth. He took a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes late last week & set it to the Veterinary lab & got the results back yesterday. He said the lymphoma was in very advanced stages & that the end will not be very far off. Right now, we are just managing the pain to keep her as comfortable as we can.

I've had Raven since she was a 4 week old puppy. She's had a long history of medical problems from severe separation anxiety that caused her to eat rocks foreign objects periodically (2 of which needed to be removed from her gut surgically)- I had to put her on a version of "Puppy Prozac" for the separation anxiety :D, to a heart worm infection (I gave her preventative religiously- it was found out I had gotten a bad lot of preventative), to now this. She's always been a very "clingy" dog that would stay glued to me 24/7 if she could. She has the sweetest temperament, but can be a pain at times with her constant need of attention. Shes also super smart (as most Labs are) & her antics could be very amusing & entertaining. Being single & living alone, she's been a great companion to come home to. I was great to be the ultimate hero in her world, when I walked through the door after a long day at work:blinking:. Right now I just can't imagine the household with out her:(. I also have a cat & bird, so I won't be totally alone, but it just won't be the same. I look at her right now, & except for the swellings around her body, there are no real signs of her condition. Her body is failing, but she still has so much puppy (life) in her. You pick up a ball, and she's ready to play fetch in a heartbeat, she still chases birds out of her back yard. Being one of my "babies" she is spoiled rotten, of course:D.

4 yrs. just doesn't seem long enough to have a companion. But then, we are only lent these pets for a short time. I believe they are sent to us to be example of how to love others unconditionally.

Attachments

• Raven Bed.JPG
    Raven Bed.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Raven Comfy.JPG
    Raven Comfy.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Raven trick.JPG
    Raven trick.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Raven in trouble.JPG
    Raven in trouble.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 88
Oh dear.....

I don't know what I could say except I feel sad to hear it.......

I wish you strength to deal with it.

4 years is way too young....Sorry to hear of your pain...:hug:

So sorry for the news on your pup,I will say a little prayer for you both.
About six years ago I had to put down my 15 yr old aussie Bandit, that I had had from time he was weaned, due to a tumor. Although I knew it was right thing to do it was also so very hard.
Losing them young is even harder, The aussie pup I got next, Renegade, ended up having epelipsy and died from a bad attack at about a year and a half old. He was my baby, and losing him hurt bad, he was so young and full of life. I was depressed for a while, let work and other things slip before finally pulling out of it.
While hard to lose them, remember the fun times and love y'all shared and that they'll be waiting the other side of the rainbow bridge for you.

I now have Rocket, my latest Aussie, who just turned one last month. We will be going out to lake this weekend to hang out and maybe catch a dive.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. I probably won't get another dog for a while. I work long 12hr swing shifts & with helping out at the dive shop & helping with classes & also going to start doing some traveling, with being gone so much & for so long.... it's just not fair to a dog. However, if there came a need to take a dog in, I'm certain I could find room in my heart & home to love another.

So, so sorry to hear about Raven... :( I'll keep her in my thoughts.

I have two (spoilt rotten) labs myself.

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's really tough, but at least it sounds like she was loved her whole life.

Oh Tammy, I'm so sorry!! I lost my best friend 2 years ago, and I still cry whenever I think about him. They are children and you never really get over losing them.

Big hugs sweetie!!!

....we are only lent these pets for a short time. I believe they are sent to us to be example of how to love others unconditionally.

Tammy, sorry to hear about your Raven. Your belief of their presence in our lives is beautifully true. Add my tears to yours.

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom