Looking to purchase reg set. Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at the XS scuba sea air tri-metal for 249 new and Cressi Ellipse Titanium MC9 Regulator for 259. Both new.

thoughts on either of these would be helpful or any other recommendations.

Would like a balanced first stage with 2 HP ports. Only plan on driving warm waters and would like something nitrox compatible for the future.

Thanks.

Are you buying from a local shop or online?
Reason I ask is that if online service might not be available locally.
Any reg you buy can be used with nitrox up to 40%.

Can't comment on either of those two regs sorry as I have no personal experience with either. I imagine both would do the trick as there aren't any bad i.e will kill you, regs on the market. How well they breathe is of course another matter. Many, not all, regs will have two HP ports but it is something you obviously need to check. As far as I know all regs are nitrox comparable to 40%, titanium regs are not advised to be used with nitrox greater than 40% due to possible combustion, reaction with high O2.

Regs are mostly about personal preference and you will get many recommendations, usually the reg the individual owns.

You won't go wrong with any of the big players, ScubaPro or Aqualung for example. Some of the smaller players also offer good regs at often more reasonable prices HOG or DiveRite for example.

Servicing is a consideration i.e how easy it is to get serviced in your local area, often you can post somewhere to get servicing if you really need to. If you travel dive a lot servicing in tropical locales should be considered both ScubaPro and Aqualung generally have the bigger service networks. Having the same brand primary and octo can make life easier as some shops will service one brand and not another.

A good reg IMO is the Aqualung Titan, cheapish, reliable and a good breather. But like I said almost all will be fine for Rec OW diving. Although I have a feeling it may only have 1 HP port.

There are many reviews on many different regs on this board, have a wee look for some user reviews.

FWIW I dive Apeks and Atomic regs, both breathe the same to me. Over the years my Apeks have proven to be very reliable but I believe they are a little spendy in the US. Atomic make nice regs and the Z2 I believe is around $399 and at that price great value to performance ratio.

Good luck with your search.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2013 at 11:41 AM ----------

Fishpie, I type too slow...

---------- Post added June 14th, 2013 at 11:42 AM ----------

Or too much lol...

Last edited:
Looking at the XS scuba sea air tri-metal for 249 new and Cressi Ellipse Titanium MC9 Regulator for 259. Both new. . . . thoughts on either of these would be helpful or any other recommendations.
Both are good regs, balanced first stages, with 2 HP p[orts. Either / both would work well in warm water, and are nitrox capable. For straightforward recreational diving, I see no problems.

The Sea Air is a piston first stage, with a turret. The Cressi is a diaphragm. Both should function well.

Frankly, $249 for the Sea Air seems remarkably low - does that price include a second stage? If so, it is a real bargain price.

Hard to recommend an alternative at a similar NEW price.

Where do you plan to have them serviced?

Sea air is new and includes 1st and second stage. Will be purchasing online. I may look at the aqua lung after seeing the servicing comments. I will be moving soon so aqua may have more servicing options.

Thanks

If you have a mares dealer local to you, try the MR12; it's the same internally as the AL conshelf/Titan series, less expensive with the basic 2nd stage, and has 2hp4lp ports.

So what you guys think if the set up and price:

MARES PRESTIGE 12S REGULATOR $224.95
MARES ROVER OCTOPUS $74.95
OCEANIC MAXDEPTH NAVCON SWIV $154.95

all items new and from authorized dealer (online). Never used a Mares reg but the reviews seem to be decent. Anyone use this reg? Again I will only be using it in warm water and nothing deeper than 130. Will be diving nitrox in the future.

Thanks

my wife uses the prestige and it works great for her, deepest depth 110 with no noticeable breathing difficulty. 77 degree water

I like the all metal second stage if you can find one, they sometimes help with dry mouth more than the plastic ones
I've dived the USD version of that reg for years,it performs great, for recreational scuba.

If you're wondering why 2 companies have the same reg, it had something to do with navy procurement process of the day: parts availability, low bid contracts, union or non union congresses etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom