Looking to move from Suunto to petrel 1/2 or perdix, few questions on differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
So it seems physically the Petrel1/2 are the same w/ FW differences and apparently a digital compass on the 2. Is there anything else different on the 1 vs. 2? I do have a wrist analog compass now so that's not a huge deal but I'm curious of the other differences. Depending on price I may go w/ the 1 over 2 all other things being equal. Also what is real world battery life on the petrel1/2 for you guys using them? I have read up on the perdix so I can use that for reference. I do need it to be able to work w/ Subsurface so anyone who uses SS w/ these would be helpful. I also need to bungee mount the computer, both petrels support this config? I see some homemade setups but are there any produced mounts for bungee? I see the perdix has this option molded into the housing. I assume they all use the BT protocol to upload logs? Air integration is nice but not mandatory for me. Any opinions you can add would be helpful for me to decide what to do.

So in order of importance for me:
1. Work with subsurface
2. Battery life
3. Quality of display
4. low profile

Thanks for any opinions guys.

Last edited:
1. No idea.
2. Roughly as per guide, although being any AA size and user changeable, I don't really give it much thought or attention.
3. Second to non, perhaps equal to some.
4. Similar profile to most wrist mounted computers. (Perdix)
5. Customer Service, pray you never need Suuntos.

I've owned various Suuntos and all versions of Petrel and currently a Perdix. I wouldn't go back unless there was a gun to my sons head.

All the Shearwaters that use Bluetooth (non-LE) work with Subsurface. The Perdix AI and other newer production Shearwater models use Bluetooth LE. Currently, the support for that is in beta in Subsurface-mobile (on Android) and not yet supported in the desktop version of the application. I have a Perdix AI. I use my phone or tablet to download my logs into Subsurface-mobile 2.0 Beta. It syncs to the Cloud. When I open my log on my desktop computer, all the data from my Perdix AI is there, merged in with all my other log data. Not being able to download directly into my desktop computer is not an issue for me, at all. But, if you don't have an Android device, it could be a problem for you until the Subsurface desktop app has the BT LE support (which is coming).

Battery life on the Petrel 2 I had was really good. I would go months between battery changes, just using regular alkaline AAs. That probably means at least 20 or 30 dives. Not really sure.

Now I have a Perdix AI and the battery definitely does not last as long. I've had it since January, I think, and have had to change the battery once, so far, I think. I used the alkaline that came with to start and now have a SAFT in there which will last a lot longer than an alkaline. I do actually use the AI. I think Shearwater says that using the AI increases battery consumption by around 10%.

The Perdix/AI screen is just slightly smaller than the Petrel1/2 screen. But, the difference is so slight that I don't think you could even tell without just looking at them side by side. I have not seen any computer that has a better display than the Petrel or Perdix. Some are as good. Just none that are better.

The Petrel1/2 does not have molded in support for bungees, but it's not that hard to do a homebrew setup that works just fine.

I sold my Petrel 2 and kept my Seabear H3. I did not like how brick-like the Petrel 2 was. At all. The Perdix is a lot better. Now that it has AI, I tolerate it with no grudge. It would be nice if it was thinner. But, it does not bother me nearly as much as the Petrel thickness did.

Thanks for your informative reply. I also have SS 2.0 Beta on an android device so LE is fine and I also use the cloud backup so I could just sync that data w/ my laptop which also has SS, easy peasy. I can certainly fabricoble something for a bungee mount I suppose or maybe 3D print something who knows. I may have to get the petrel dimensions and make a template to see how big this thing really is. I have a suunto vyper now w/ a bungee, perhaps I can just compare the dimensions. When you say brick like do you just mean it's shape or it's height is an annoyance to you as well? As it is now w/ my plate sometime I have to take my computer off to get my arm out of my left strap, I wonder if the petrel would make that a mandatory thing? I have my compass on my right arm currently so one or the other has to come off when removing my plate straps. Or perhaps I start doing yoga and get more flexible?

Dave

differences in petrel 1/2 are only functional with the 2 having ability to sync with ios devices and the digital compass. Not important for me so I haven't upgraded.
Perdix gets you better battery life, higher quality screen, option for WAI if you want it, and a much lower profile.

I do not believe 3d printing a bungee mount on a Petrel would be practical. Best option if you want it bungee mounted is to put it on the top of a wrist slate like Edd Sorenson started doing several years ago.

I have to remove my Petrel to take my backplate off. I put my left arm through first and take it out first. It's not that annoying though. Actual height of the Perdix isn't significantly better, but the effective height is significantly less

When I say brick-like, I mean shape and the height. The height was annoying to me.

I almost always put my computers on before I get into my harness. I don't generally have much issue donning my rig while wearing the Perdix. I almost never have anyone tending me to help with the straps as I don it.

I usually just keep a carabiner on my D ring and put my bungee strap of my computer through it until I get kitted up and then put it on. When I get out of water I just reverse it. I'm going to have to see how big this thing really feels.

Can't I just remove straps and fabricate some straps to allow use of bungee? Similar to what shearwater originally provided?

Dave

I usually just keep a carabiner on my D ring and put my bungee strap of my computer through it until I get kitted up and then put it on. When I get out of water I just reverse it. I'm going to have to see how big this thing really feels.

Can't I just remove straps and fabricate some straps to allow use of bungee? Similar to what shearwater originally provided?

Dave

That's what I did. Some 1" webbing through the slots. Holes and small grommets in the webbing. Bungee through the holes with grommets. Worked fine.

@TT_Vert you can also run bungee cords through the original strap slots, but the buckle straps that come with them are stretchy enough that most people I know haven't got far enough to try to figure it out more than sticking it on the slate. Adds a bit of thickness, but consolidates one item

Great thanks guys. I think I have the info I need. Now to find a nice used one :)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom