Looking into buying my first bcd (EU)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Alkemichar

Of those, I'd recommend (strongly) the XDeep Zen. XDeep does not make a bad product (no jacket style BCDs! ). I think it is fairly clear I hate jacket style BCDs (something breaks, you are out a BCD and too much floaty material - I'm a minimalist). I own the XDeep Stealth 2.0 Tec, Hydro 50 wing, regular XDeep bp, and used to own the XDeep Ghost (which is close to the Zen).

People who consider BP/W to be tech gear are simply wrong. Lots of people, many who will NEVER dive tech, dive a BP/W for all of its benefits. It is how a minority of instructors teach their students in open water. I would recommend at least trying one. It is merely tech capable. You'd still have to get a wing for doubles to make the jump. You do not want to dive a wing meant for doubles on a single tank. Unless you REALLY like tacos.

I'm not sure what kind of assistance you will need. There are plenty of videos (ISE has a good one) for setting it up.
The assistance I am mentioning here is strictly "if" scenarios right before the dive or during it, where to grab what to do how to use etc, not really a strong argument. Fully aware of the unlikelihood and knowledgeable how to set up most gear by myself ,thank god we have the internet , simply putting it out there because it gives me a peace of mind. As things stand of course I am willing to give a plethora of gear a chance and try it out but currently I am a blank slate and simply looking for a more rounded solution rather than pure minimalism, also I am by no means a minimalist as other activities in my life have shown, I would kit the living daylight out of that sweet sheet of metal if I got the chance.

What makes a hybrid style back-inflated BC 'more rounded' than BP/W? I am not pushing you towards BP/W, just trying to understand your arguments...

We could also approach this from the other side. What BCs are available and within your budget? We could help you pick one of those.

Strictly speaking in terms of space and accessories. Weight pockets and or storage space so I don't have to end up buying separate pouches or underwater cargo pants. I am willing to distance myself from the conventional weight belts. As for the BC-s available ,anything one can dig out on the european market and the stretchy upper limit would lets say be a deluxe zen from somewhere like divezone in poland.

WORRY NOT , for the option is still there, it is all still on the table and the decision not yet been made. Five coin tosses , three naps and another word of encouragement might just prompt me to push the buy button on a brand new BP/W . What I came here for was arguments, pros cons, discussion and it finally seems to be going in the right direction.

People who consider BP/W to be tech gear are simply wrong. Lots of people, many who will NEVER dive tech, dive a BP/W for all of its benefits. It is how a minority of instructors teach their students in open water. I would recommend at least trying one. It is merely tech capable.

I am not a tech diver and would not go back to a BCD. I dive a Tecline BPW and used to dive an Apeks Black Ice.

Strictly speaking in terms of space and accessories. Weight pockets and or storage space so I don't have to end up buying separate pouches or underwater cargo pants. I am willing to distance myself from the conventional weight belts. As for the BC-s available ,anything one can dig out on the european market and the stretchy upper limit would lets say be a deluxe zen from somewhere like divezone in poland.

WORRY NOT , for the option is still there, it is all still on the table and the decision not yet been made. Five coin tosses , three naps and another word of encouragement might just prompt me to push the buy button on a brand new BP/W . What I came here for was arguments, pros cons, discussion and it finally seems to be going in the right direction.

You can have trim and weight pockets on a BPW. Mine came with both but the latter are sitting on my basement. A BPW has some weight immediately below your wing, which helps with trim.There are less buoyant parts vs a BCD (= less lead required) and I find it more flexible as you can adapt it to your needs.

What is the price of the cressi bcd? I imported my BPW from Poland and was cheaper than the Apeks Blace Ice.

I am not a tech diver and would not go back to a BCD. I dive a Tecline BPW and used to dive an Apeks Black Ice.
And that is completely fine, I too understand with the dives I did that a traditional jacket messes with the trim and is cumbersome. I am simply starting to get confused why the strong feelings towards anything other than a strict BP/W since the options I am putting on the table would consist of either a bpw or a light-er hybrid with a rigid back and back inflated bladder which to me is not that much of a stark difference.

You can have trim and weight pockets on a BPW. Mine came with both but the latter are sitting on my basement. A BPW has some weight immediately below your wing, which helps with trim.There are less buoyant parts vs a BCD (= less lead required) and I find it more flexible as you can adapt it to your needs.

What is the price of the cressi bcd? I imported my BPW from Poland and was cheaper than the Apeks Blace Ice.
For the cressi I can get it for around 400-430€ depending on type of payment ,weather conditions and political orientations.

And that is completely fine, I too understand with the dives I did that a traditional jacket messes with the trim and is cumbersome. I am simply starting to get confused why the strong feelings towards anything other than a strict BP/W since the options I am putting on the table would consist of either a bpw or a light-er hybrid with a rigid back and back inflated bladder which to me is not that much of a stark difference.

I was in your shoes some years ago and said here the same. Bought a back inflate BCD. 50 dives after tried a BPW, sold the BCD and here I am.

You can get a BPW for the same price or less, so price should not be the key factor.

You should take a look t the Dive Rite Hydro Lite. The wing has 30 lbs of lift and their are a bunch Dive rite dealers close to you. HydroLite BC - Dive Rite

Long story short got hold of some spare schmeckles and I'm noticing that the inflation here is eating away rapidly so I would like to invest into my own bcd.
Looking for something relatively light I can shove into the back of the car and travel to dive sites but also be sturdy enough for local recreational diving and sea cleaning events. Rigid back and either a hybrid or a wing style bcd ,weight pockets and accessories would come in handy but not a deal breaker I can always jerry rig something. The xdeep seems to be the latest hype but a recreational backplate wing system here is virtually unheard off people are still stuck on jackets and I don't mind pioneering. Bit of digging around made me focus on the xdeeps zen and apeks black ice, however the xdeep being a bit unconventional from the jackets I have been diving in and the black ice seems a bit bulky for transport. Definitely open for other suggestions and recommendations on stores based in EU to order it from.
Bit late here. Just go with BPW. Pouches are not expensive, in fact, you can clip on a lot of things that you would pocket in jacket BCD. I will leave brand choice to you. Depending on your cold tolerance, you might invest in drysuit later, but some sort of tech shorts will get you sorted for pockets when you dive wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom