Looking into buying my first bcd (EU)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alkemichar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Long story short got hold of some spare schmeckles and I'm noticing that the inflation here is eating away rapidly so I would like to invest into my own bcd.
Looking for something relatively light I can shove into the back of the car and travel to dive sites but also be sturdy enough for local recreational diving and sea cleaning events. Rigid back and either a hybrid or a wing style bcd ,weight pockets and accessories would come in handy but not a deal breaker I can always jerry rig something. The xdeep seems to be the latest hype but a recreational backplate wing system here is virtually unheard off people are still stuck on jackets and I don't mind pioneering. Bit of digging around made me focus on the xdeeps zen and apeks black ice, however the xdeep being a bit unconventional from the jackets I have been diving in and the black ice seems a bit bulky for transport. Definitely open for other suggestions and recommendations on stores based in EU to order it from.

First on the type of BC... Here in the cold northwest (NL), BP/W is not uncommon. In Mediterranean countries, they may be.
Xdeep Zeos or Tecline Donut are very standard, not too pricy options. I have a Zeos 38, which is not really bulky. It fits in my 40x60 cm crate... The Zen is a bit more 'out there' with unusual plate dimensions. Personally, I have great experiences with scubaonline.de and divezon.pl. Nice range of products, well-priced, they respond to email quickly, speak good English.

Apeks has a BP/W with a soft backplate. Buddy here in the US has one and it’s quite nice. Might want to investigate that.

Apeks has a BP/W with a soft backplate. Buddy here in the US has one and it’s quite nice. Might want to investigate that.
I've been told to keep an eye out for the wtx, however I'm having a hard time sourcing it in the current situation, either manufacturing is slow or the retailers in eu haven't ordered/received more of them.

First on the type of BC... Here in the cold northwest (NL), BP/W is not uncommon. In Mediterranean countries, they may be.
Xdeep Zeos or Tecline Donut are very standard, not too pricy options. I have a Zeos 38, which is not really bulky. It fits in my 40x60 cm crate... The Zen is a bit more 'out there' with unusual plate dimensions. Personally, I have great experiences with scubaonline.de and divezon.pl. Nice range of products, well-priced, they respond to email quickly, speak good English.
Taking into consideration that the Mediterranean isn't really the warmest sea(its warm-er on the surface but below 10m depth it tends to get chilly) I'm surprised that there aren't more wing users for recreational diving. Here mostly tech divers use setups like those. ...and I am being recommended gear like Mares,Cressi and Seac, not that there is anything inherently wrong with any of those brands ,there are some cressi models that stick out for me in the travel category, the problem lays in the fact that the models they use and or recommend are ancient at this point. Even the local stores haven't invested into ordering newer gear in god who knows how long. It does the job but if I can choose now I'd rather go for the buy once cry once mentality.

In all honesty I would, if it wasn't a tad bit pricy, that hydros has all the bells ans whistles and ticks many boxes but it would be a bit of a stretch if I'm to get regs before the season. The glide on the other hand is a headscratcher though, looks just like your run of the mill jacket for a premium. I am looking for a back inflated bc primarily.

In all honesty I would, if it wasn't a tad bit pricy, that hydros has all the bells ans whistles and ticks many boxes but it would be a bit of a stretch if I'm to get regs before the season. The glide on the other hand is a headscratcher though, looks just like your run of the mill jacket for a premium. I am looking for a back inflated bc primarily.

Hydros is worth every penny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom