Looking into buying my first bcd (EU)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my friends dives an xdeep single tank setup on recreational dives. I do not dive in a wet suit just t shirt and shorts so and prefer my Scuba Pro Black. Very comfortable and as I am a large chap use an XL size. I travel with it everywhere. You can order from online stores I bought my Scuba Pro black and had it delivered to the UK.

View attachment 707837
Wow, what streamlining. Seems the wing's rather inflated for a single too.

Moving the waist belt D-rings forwards would solve the streamlining problem.

@Alkemichar - best tip for your first BCD or wing+backplate... Don't buy new. Buy second hand.

A wing/BCD is just a bag of air. There's very little to go wrong with them. Just inflate it and ensure it stays inflated overnight. Inspect it for tears and seams wearing (if so, reject it). That's literally it.

Half the price, no risk as you can sell it for what you paid if it doesn't work or you move from BCD to wing+backplate.

Wow, what streamlining. Seems the wing's rather inflated for a single too.
Moving the waist belt D-rings forwards would solve the streamlining problem.

Well the diver is an instructor I do deep dives with from time to time. I don't really bother with how other people streamline or trim or what not. I do not know what size bladder he uses.

As you are in Europe, consider Tecline. I am happy with my Tecline BPW purchase after I sold my Apeks Black Ice.
I'll second that.

Well the diver is an instructor I do deep dives with from time to time. I don't really bother with how other people streamline or trim or what not. I do not know what size bladder he uses.
Streamlining simply minimises your frontal cross-section which minimises drag. It goes without saying that finning forwards with a sticking stage up will be way harder than if the stage was flat beside you. Not to mention banging on any overhead wreck/swimthrough/cavern

Streamlining simply minimises your frontal cross-section which minimises drag. It goes without saying that finning forwards with a sticking stage up will be way harder than if the stage was flat beside you. Not to mention banging on any overhead wreck/swimthrough/cavern

Well we weren't doing any overhead wreck diving. That tank had just been tested and the stages and regulators serviced so he brought it along to check all was fine with it before using it on dives. Nice to know you wont have a cylinder leak or a stage leak or a free flow regulator after a service. Also I am slightly above and took the photo at an angle so it's looks a bit weird.

Yes I am an affiliate of the company with which you have some personal issues.

"Personal issues"?? Like what? You are making stuff up.

Oh I'd best money you do. A number of people would.

How much money are you going to bet? I need cash.

You're joking right? There's more material, displacement in that BCD than ANY bp/w.
And you have measure that yourself of course? There isn't true at all, but you are an advocate for the "Mini Me" company with financial interest in the company.

And as far as my "glorious" bp/w, cosmetically it has (had as Covid put a supplier out of business) the nicest looking BP
So your "mini-me" company deals with miniture suppliers that can't stay in business and the customer's investment is threatened with suppliers and vendors going out of business. This isn't something a real and well established company, such as AL/SP/Huish, worry about nor do their customers.

Now that's a copout. You see I explain why I think a product is good. I don't tell people nonsense to do their own research. "Features"
You mean the countless posts and comments on SB aren't enough for you or you don't know how to make your fingers do the typing?

If Deep 6 doesn't have a European distributor by the time I open my dive center, I'll step up and also provide free training to Greek dive centers to help their market penetration. The reason for this is I support companies with good ethics and support the DIYer. I got tired of my regs not being serviced properly by LDSs. So I switched over (before I was an affiliate and before I forged any relationship with Chris or Landon) and I haven't looked back. Chris btw is one of the most ethical people you'll ever meet in this industry.

What a shameless self-serving plug here. You are after mini-me companies because the well established real companies don't want to deal with you as they have real dealers and distributors and are well supported in the ENTIRE world and don't need suitcase trader smuggle their products from country to country.

Bottom line: enough options I think, either BP/W or another type of back-inflate BC. And enough fine webshops in the EU that have stuff in stock.

Back
Top Bottom