Looking into buying my first bcd (EU)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still, you need to have those pennies in the first place...

Skip few meals, forgo excessive drinking, walk instead of driving, consume less electricity (live in the dark for few days) and all will be OK.

In all honesty I would, if it wasn't a tad bit pricy, that hydros has all the bells ans whistles and ticks many boxes but it would be a bit of a stretch if I'm to get regs before the season. The glide on the other hand is a headscratcher though, looks just like your run of the mill jacket for a premium. I am looking for a back inflated bc primarily.
LiteHawk 2 is SOLID. Its mine, and ive loved it so far!

Hydros is worth every penny.
To you, yes. To me, a waste of money. For each of us, we are right respectively. You've never elaborated on why the Hydro is so great. I've tried it and wasn't impressed and my preference is for minimalism. Hence my preference for BP/W. I just don't see the value in the Hydro as I do not find it any more comfortable than a BP/W. I don't have any relationship with SP that leads me to promote them.

I don't have any relationship with SP that leads me to promote them.

But you do with the other "mini me" company that you promote all of the time. I don't have with any of them and I say that the Hydros is best. It is a minimalist BC, not less than your glorious BP/W anyways. I don't need to elaborate, the features and benefits have been covered ad nauseam all over SB.

Long story short got hold of some spare schmeckles and I'm noticing that the inflation here is eating away rapidly so I would like to invest into my own bcd.
Looking for something relatively light I can shove into the back of the car and travel to dive sites but also be sturdy enough for local recreational diving and sea cleaning events. Rigid back and either a hybrid or a wing style bcd ,weight pockets and accessories would come in handy but not a deal breaker I can always jerry rig something. The xdeep seems to be the latest hype but a recreational backplate wing system here is virtually unheard off people are still stuck on jackets and I don't mind pioneering. Bit of digging around made me focus on the xdeeps zen and apeks black ice, however the xdeep being a bit unconventional from the jackets I have been diving in and the black ice seems a bit bulky for transport. Definitely open for other suggestions and recommendations on stores based in EU to order it from.

One of my friends dives an xdeep single tank setup on recreational dives. I do not dive in a wet suit just t shirt and shorts so and prefer my Scuba Pro Black. Very comfortable and as I am a large chap use an XL size. I travel with it everywhere. You can order from online stores I bought my Scuba Pro black and had it delivered to the UK.

ERNESTO AND SPARE.JPG

But you do with the other "mini me" company that you promote all of the time.
Yes I am an affiliate of the company with which you have some personal issues.

But I explain why when I recommend them or other companies like Xdeep or DGX.

I don't have with any of them
Oh I'd best money you do. A number of people would.
and I say that the Hydros is best. It is a minimalist BC, not less than your glorious BP/W anyways.
You're joking right? There's more material, displacement in that BCD than ANY bp/w.

And as far as my "glorious" bp/w, cosmetically it has (had as Covid put a supplier out of business) the nicest looking BP. But in terms of function, a bp is a BP. Halcyon, Xdeep, Hollis all make equally good bps. As far as webbing goes, Halcyon has the best, most durable, but is expensive. The coating on the Deep 6 that makes it water proof/resistant is too new for me to judge. I have no idea about how durable it will be to sun light. If it doesn't pan out, I'll just replace when needed with webbing from my local fabric store for less than $10.

As fars wings go, the Deep 6 wing dries far quicker than any other which is nice in a tropical location and you don't want to pack wet gear. Not a plus if you don't care.

I don't need to elaborate, the features and benefits have been covered ad nauseam all over SB.
Now that's a copout. You see I explain why I think a product is good. I don't tell people nonsense to do their own research. "Features"... Lol

Yes I am an affiliate of the company with which you have some personal issues.

But I explain why when I recommend them or other companies like Xdeep or DGX.

Oh I'd best money you do. A number of people would.

You're joking right? There's more material, displacement in that BCD than ANY bp/w.

And as far as my "glorious" bp/w, cosmetically it has (had as Covid put a supplier out of business) the nicest looking BP. But in terms of function, a bp is a BP. Halcyon, Xdeep, Hollis all make equally good bps. As far as webbing goes, Halcyon has the best, most durable, but is expensive. The coating on the Deep 6 that makes it water proof/resistant is too new for me to judge. I have no idea about how durable it will be to sun light. If it doesn't pan out, I'll just replace when needed with webbing from my local fabric store for less than $10.

As fars wings go, the Deep 6 wing dries far quicker than any other which is nice in a tropical location and you don't want to pack wet gear. Not a plus if you don't care.

Now that's a copout. You see I explain why I think a product is good. I don't tell people nonsense to do their own research. "Features"... Lol

Unfortunately, Deep 6 is expensive to import to the EU.

Unfortunately, Deep 6 is expensive to import to the EU.
Oh yes, that's why I would never recommend it to people there. The best I can do is to take some with me when I go to Greece twice this year and mail it from there. I've done that before and happy to do it again.

If Deep 6 doesn't have a European distributor by the time I open my dive center, I'll step up and also provide free training to Greek dive centers to help their market penetration. The reason for this is I support companies with good ethics and support the DIYer. I got tired of my regs not being serviced properly by LDSs. So I switched over (before I was an affiliate and before I forged any relationship with Chris or Landon) and I haven't looked back. Chris btw is one of the most ethical people you'll ever meet in this industry.

I strongly recommend Xdeep. I former student did pick up a SP bp/w and the pockets were not good for cold water diving for bigger people. The Hollis system was far better with two weight pouches on each side: one ditch able, the other not.

Back
Top Bottom