Looking for very small bailout bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boatracer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a small bailout bottle to be used inside of my boat. I am strapped in the boat and just need air in the case I cant get out if the boat goes upside down. I am looking for a small bottle that can strap to my capsule suit I wear (similar to a shorty wet suit). I would like to find a 3 cu ft bottle or somthing like the spare air bottle(the smaller one, I believe listed at 1.7 cu ft) that is offered but only need the bottle itself, would like to put a 1st stage regulator to and run a LP set up off of. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Tom

How about a Spare Air? They're much more suitable to such uses than they are to diving.

I have looked at spare air online, i like the idea but want something i can strap to my leg and then run a hose up to my chest, then just bite and breathe, i will email the example when i find it online, (hopefully it makes sense)

its called a 'Air Buddy Alternate Air source" it is in the leisurepro magazine and listed on amazon, just wondering if that would work......

From your previous thread I assume that the stock SpareAir will not work because of your helmet, right? FWIW I don’t think the SpareAir tank will take a regular tank valve, so it won't work with the hybrid system you mentioned before.

ScubaToys has 6 cu ft. That’s the smallest 'regular' tank I’ve seen:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Tanks.asp

Did you consider the valve/regulator combo that I mentioned on your previous thread? If you get something like this:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Tanks.asp?PAGE=3

and put a longer hose on it, it seems like it would be a nice, small package. And pretty reasonable. $200.00 for tank, first stage, and valve.

Boatracer:
its called a 'Air Buddy Alternate Air source" it is in the leisurepro magazine and listed on amazon, just wondering if that would work......

You mean this:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUAASBC.html

plus a first stage regulator/valve/tank.

Sounds like a good idea to me, but what do I know? You would probably need a free hand to put the 'Air Buddy' in your mouth. Do you see that as a drawback?

Also, it looks like it would not work too well with a full-face helmet unless you put some kind of 45 between the mouthpiece and hose.

I was looking at that one already, I think it would work, was wondering if I could remove and add a hose

I don't know much about racing helmets, but might it be possible to hang it on a bungie necklace? If the helmet wouldn't be in the way, it should be possible to have it close enough to your mouth that you could simply tuck your chin to your chest and have it close enough to grab with your teeth when needed.

that was what I was picturing, putting on a bungee of some type close to my mouth, I run with a BELL open face helmet with cheek protection, so only my mouth is left uncovered, I was really hoping for a smaller bottle than the 6cu ft so I could attach to myself which would mean less to worry about when exiting the capsule. for a idea on the boat go to www.aprsuperleague.com , there are systems available for over a 1K from some of our racer companies but I dont see the benefit when I only race a few times a year and many racers still dont use, one of the available systems is at www.tigerperformance.com

Boatracer:
that was what I was picturing, putting on a bungee of some type close to my mouth, I run with a BELL open face helmet with cheek protection, so only my mouth is left uncovered, I was really hoping for a smaller bottle than the 6cu ft so I could attach to myself which would mean less to worry about when exiting the capsule. for a idea on the boat go to www.aprsuperleague.com , there are systems available for over a 1K from some of our racer companies but I dont see the benefit when I only race a few times a year and many racers still dont use, one of the available systems is at www.tigerperformance.com

The benefit is you save your life!!! I used to race cars myself (not boats). I have been in plenty of accidents and one thing in common happens everytime. You don't have time to do anything but hit the brakes and crap your pants. My point is you have this mouth piece you have to find while going at a fast pace (hopefully both hands are on the wheel. Maybe you'll find it while your are twirling upside down or already upside down. Or maybe broken this or that bone and can't reach anything or even knocked out. The system you are trying to rig will cause you possibly more harm then good. Now you have this extra hose connected to you waiting to get tangled on anything from the wreck when you try to exit. NOT GOOD!! And most likely you don't know which way is up for a while (which might not be enough air for the bottle you are suggesting). I would spend the money and get something that is automatic like what is at tigerperformance and know you don't need to even think about it to get air. Incidents happen and you are rarely prepared for the worst because "It will never happen to me". I'm not putting you down, I just want you to really think whats going to happen in the 1 second you need to perform in the emergency. Ask yourself Will this work????? Who knows, maybe you'll come up with the next racing air product out there.
I think you can keep going with your idea if you go with more air and streamline your hose and get something that is more forced air then just air on demand for a mouth piece. Good luck racing and go with safety first and price second.

Back
Top Bottom