Looking for opinions on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
specifically, Faber HP 80s as doubles. I was/am thinking of using Worthington LP 85s, but the Fabers are cheaper ($210.00) and lighter. Tanks in advance.:shakehead:

The HP80s are very short tanks. I'd be worried that you'd be hopelessly head-heavy with them doubled up.

I love the LP85s. That's what I dive.

Ditto. I think the Worthington LP85's are great tanks. The Fabers might be cheaper but you will be able to do a lot more w/ the 85's:

1) They will almost certainly trim out better w/ a drysuit
2) They will stick work great w/ a wetsuit (if you are so inclined)
3) It is very easy to get a full fill on LP tanks (not always the case w/ HP's)
4) If you choose to overfill, you can get 224cf out of the set.
5) If you ever need to sell them, they will sell a lot quicker than HP80's
6) No paint to chip/scratch/rust

Stay away from the HP 80s for the reason TS&M noted, they are too short unless you're around 4'9".

I found a big difference between doubled Worthington LP 85s (7.25") and the Faber LP 85s (7.00").
The Fabers trim much better in the water. While I'm not a fan of painted tanks, I now own three sets of Fabers 85s.

I prefer faber Low Pressures.
Easily filled, most are Plus rated and you can cave fill them if you want higher pressure and they trim real nice.
I usually fill mine to 3K.

I too agree with Lynne (and the others). I suspect the LP 85's will work out much better for you. I have two sets of Faber LP 85's and they're working out very nicely.

As others have said LP 85s are the way to go. My wife uses a set of LP 66s which are a bit smaller.

Thanks for all the answers. I'm back to plan A, just thought I'd check. The 85s will allow me to dive in fresh water with no to little weight. After reading some of the posts and looking at the specs, I wondering if I could live with epoxy-painted cylinders.

That Faber finish is way better than the paint job on the common AL80. I have a little MP72 that's holding up to the ocean just fine. I'd still call hot dipped galvanized the premium finish but the Faber Epoxy is good stuff.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom