Looking for opinions on a new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mchrono

New
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking the DIR-F class on '07, and I'm looking to get set up in doubles for the first time. I've heard the scubapro MK25/G250 is a preferred rig, and I've also heard Apeks (model unknown???). This is an incredible forum, and I'd like some advice from divers who aren't behind the counter looking to make a sale. Thanks, and no hard feelings if you're in sales!:eyebrow:

DIR requirements for regs--
You should be able to take them apart easily underwater with no special tools and they can't be of an "upstream" design.

go zeagle i have both mk/25 g/250 both good but i love my envoy i have a set for open water and a set for my doubles my 2 cents

mchrono:
I'm going to be taking the DIR-F class on '07, and I'm looking to get set up in doubles for the first time. I've heard the Scubapro MK25/G250 is a preferred rig, and I've also heard Apeks (model unknown???). This is an incredible forum, and I'd like some advice from divers who aren't behind the counter looking to make a sale. Thanks, and no hard feelings if you're in sales!:eyebrow:

I dive the Scubapro mk20-G250Hp setup on my primary. The MK20 or MK25 1st Stage (they are pretty much the same. The MK 25 can have the intermediate pressure adjusted externally without a conversion kit.) and a G250HP 2nd Stage. I have the MK/20-G250Hp setup and it has been an excellent regulator for me. I do quite a bit of deep diving (over 130ishFT), drift diving, and “cool water” diving here in the NE and I have never had a problem as far as reliability or an over breathing situation. I would describe this regulator setup in a few words as: WORKHORSE, RELIABLE, EASY TO SERVICE, and an EASY BREATHER. On the Scubapro G250Hp, you take the pin out of the side of the 2nd stage the front cover can be easily opened underwater and cleaned out of any crude gets in there.

You will see quite a few people on this board recommend Scubapro, APEKS, and Atomic. All three of these companies provide some of the best scuba regulators in the business. From my own personal experience with Scubapro, I can tell you that I have nothing but praise for their regs, especially the MK/20/25-G250HP regulator setup.

For Dir - they tend to prefer this reg because of the above mentioned reasons. Plus, according to the DIR/GUE 2004 DVDs, they like a reg that is well-baffled in front so it won’t easily free flow and they don’t use shower-head regs. Try to get them in DIN configuration. You can carry a DIN to yoke converter for non DIN valves.

Just make sure to buy your equipment from an authorized dealer.

If you can, try to rent or borrow a friend’s regulator and give them a try in an actual diving situation.

The four brands mentioned repeatedly are ScubaPro, Apex, Zeagle, and Atomics. With any of these regs you will want a DIN setup. I do not think you would go wrong with any. Besides the DIR requirement make sure you can get them serviced locally. Some say the ScubaPro and Apex are easier to get serviced outside of the USA. I personally carry every I need to service my regs no matter where I am so to me that is not an issue.

If it matters any we own 4 Atomic Z2s. The thing I liked about them was their breathing qualities, small profile (both 1st and 2nd stage), the 5th port which is on the bottom of the 1st stage which allows for a very nice hose routing with doubles. I have two local dealers who can do the service as required. I have used ScubaPro and Zeagle regs as well. Zeagle would be my next choice, then Apex, I will not buy ScubaPro (not because of the quality but I do not like their parent company SC Johnson).

Not DIR,,,but will throw in a bid for Mares V16 and Oceanic FDX-10 for first stages and Dive Rite RG2010 second stage for back gas...... several good piston reg. on the market...but the Oceanic PX-3 is a sure bet for deco bottles.

I had the impression that the DIR configuration (per GUE when I go to my Fundies class) frowned on any type of swiveling first stage. I've used the DiveRite reg and liked it, I just thought it was outside of the norm for DIR.

mchrono:
I had the impression that the DIR configuration (per GUE when I go to my Fundies class) frowned on any type of swiveling first stage. I've used the DiveRite reg and liked it, I just thought it was outside of the norm for DIR.

No swivle on the Dive Rite second stage.

I believe he is speaking of the first stage. :wink:
mchrono if you look at some of the WKPP guys and their regs, I believe some of the ScubaPro 1st stages they're using have swivels, yes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom