Looking for opinions on a new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
Not DIR,,,but will throw in a bid for Mares V16 and Oceanic FDX-10 for first stages and Dive Rite RG2010 second stage for back gas...... several good piston reg. on the market...but the Oceanic PX-3 is a sure bet for deco bottles.

I agree with the PX-3 or a DX4 with enviro kit but for me I'd choose the CDX-5 over the FDX-10. I'm not fond of the plastic being so high up and exposed. I've got two CDX-5's for my doubles. Primary with a delta3 and bungee with a GT3. Alpha-7 on the stage/deco/recreational reg with a DX4 with enviro kit. I also have a sherwood brut on my pony and have a sherwood blizzard for a backup. Also have an SEA2 for back up back up.

JimLap:
I'm not fond of the plastic being so high up and exposed.

Not sure what you are refering to?

mchrono:
I had the impression that the DIR configuration (per GUE when I go to my Fundies class) frowned on any type of swiveling first stage. I've used the DiveRite reg and liked it, I just thought it was outside of the norm for DIR.

I recall one GUE instrutor opining that non-swivel first stages were more in line with DIR philosophy: you don't need it; it's an extra failure point; so why have it. That being said, my Fundies instructor dove MK25s and I've seen several other GUE instructors diving them as well.

I believe JJ, Mr. DIR himself, uses MK25s.
Yes there's an extra failure point but at some point you just need to think about things--what are the chances of that extra part blowing? Probably just as much as any other piece inside the reg blowing...

SparticleBrane:
I believe JJ, Mr. DIR himself, uses MK25s.
Yes there's an extra failure point but at some point you just need to think about things--what are the chances of that extra part blowing? Probably just as much as any other piece inside the reg blowing...

I'm only reporting not arguing the point. I dive MK25s and see no reason to change.

mchrono:
I had the impression that the DIR configuration (per GUE when I go to my Fundies class) frowned on any type of swiveling first stage. I've used the DiveRite reg and liked it, I just thought it was outside of the norm for DIR.
It's true that the first stage swivel introduces a potential failure point, but there are also situations where it can be an advantage. For example, a swivel can relieve stress on the hose connection during a gas sharing situation, both in the case of sharing from the primary as well as from a stage bottle.

I have personally used swiveling first stages (Scubapro and Atomics) for over 10 years, and have never had a problem with leakage or looseness. As someone else pointed out, many of the WKPP divers have used swiveling first stages on their regs for years without incident. I think the preference for or against them is pretty much moot at this point. There are many other considerations when choosing a reg that are more deserving of scrutiny than whether it has a swivel or not.

DIR-Atlanta:
As someone else pointed out, many of the WKPP divers have used swiveling first stages on their regs for years without incident. I think the preference for or against them is pretty much moot at this point. There are many other considerations when choosing a reg that are more deserving of scrutiny than whether it has a swivel or not.
Thanks, that helps to clarify. I think I'll probably go with the MK25.

JJ uses the Mk25, and he liked my Dive Rite RG2500s...

texdiveguy:
Not sure what you are refering to?

The plastic cap that covers the enviro seal sits on top of the reg. The cap on the CDX5 is on the bottom. My only concern is that this cap could be come cracked, broken, and subsequently lost after an accidental encounter with a piece of metal or cave roof. Not likely but possible. And for me the design just puts the 1st stage of the reg too high up. I've tried it and even moving the tank did not keep it from hitting me in the back of the head. The only option for me to use this would be to turn it upside down on the tank. Just a personal preference but I'll keep my CDX5's.

mchrono:
Apeks (model unknown???)

Most likely it's the TX50/DS4.

The other option would be the XTX100. The ideal Apekses would be the ones without the Swivel turret.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom