Looking for a computer that can grow with me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, it's a sound buy that wont have you buying another.

Petrel seems to be the consensus.

I know the correct answer is to plan your dives with tables and paper etc. then dive the plan and use the computer for convenience but always be ready and willing to go to tables in the event of a computer failure. Also have a redundant depth gauge/bottom timer. - Did I get it right?

I am looking for a wrist computer with a large display that can handle gas switching and deco without locking me out afterwards. Air integration is not important and I won't pay extra for it. If it comes for free I might use it for convenience but I will always have an Spg. I'll probably look to find this computer used. Maybe in the $400 range.
Do you have any suggestions?

I purchased one of these. Couldn't be more happy. Seems to fit in all your criteria.

Try Divephone. You can upgrade to DP_TCE, change skins and add maps: DivePhone Unique features include multialgorithm running. realtime dive profile display. One touch enables the emailing of your divelog. Enjoy
Aziz_Saltık_Divephone_Orijinal_2.jpg

I bought a Petrel as my first computer. It's amazing and I feel like it helps me learn a lot about diving, but that was a huge reason I bought it in the first place. I didn't like the idea of nanny diving and my computer screaming at me because I'm doing a safety stop at 16 ft. instead of 15 ft. The Petrel was very easy to learn... I found almost all the features of the computer were intuitive without even using the manual and then read the manual to touch up on it. I am somewhat of a "Computer guy" though so YMMV.

Best of luck!

Try Divephone. You can upgrade to DP_TCE, change skins and add maps: DivePhone Unique features include multialgorithm running. realtime dive profile display. One touch enables the emailing of your divelog. Enjoy
View attachment 150171
Interesting idea but my iPhone is too important to my daily life to risk flooding. Maybe I could fix the screen on my old phone and try.

To the OP:

Get a simple nitrox computer that has a gauge mode.
If/when you get into technical diving you can use it and tables as a backup to a Predator/Petrel. No one in their right mind would do technical dives with just one computer/gauge.

Forget about the air integration.

Have fun along the way!

---------- Post added March 16th, 2013 at 09:05 PM ----------

View attachment 150171

Shame it can't fix your buoyancy though! :D

Stop looking around and get a Shearwater. The Petrel is $950 (double your budget however) or a Shearwater secondhand. You can only grow into Shearwater!!

Last edited:
Shearwater Petrel would be your best bet however it's a little over your price range. I have the Shearwater Predator and Petrel both. Love them!

Back
Top Bottom